See the trailer for Clint Eastwood’s anti-“Moneyball”

Aug 8, 2012, 5:02 PM EST

1B5O4089.dng

The movie: “Trouble with the Curve,” which is about an old scout played by Clint Eastwood, his daughter played by Amy Adams and Justin Timberlake playing … someone. I don’t know.

Eastwood’s character apparently works for the Braves and hates computers and baseball statistics. I’ll buy that part. He was probably the guy responsible for signing Robert Fick and Rico Brogna. ¬†Anyway, the trailer is below.

It’s always hard to tell with trailers — they can be somewhat misleading — but my gut impression is that the movie will be something of a mess. You have a father-daughter thing going on, a romantic comedy thing, a sports movie and a coping with age thing. ¬†Maybe it works — God knows Clint Eastwood is awesome — but I’m skeptical.

1. tfbuckfutter - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I hope this movie features David Eckstein as “Grit McGutsy”.

• El Bravo - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Grit McGutsy, meet Scappy McClutchen.

• sophiethegreatdane - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Perhaps a cameo by Scribbly Tate. Loved that guy. Wish he’d come out of retirement.

2. shanabartels - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Rico Brogna is a scout now himself. I met him at a minor league game a couple of months ago. Nice dude.

3. baseballisboring - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:12 PM

They lost me at Justin Timberlake.

• paperlions - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Have you seen him in a movie? I was skeptical as well, but the guy can act. Alpha Dog, Black Snake Moan…he was fantastic in both of those roles, plus he is funny as hell in the SNL skits/videos.

• jdd428 - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I am definitely not a fan. But JT was very good in “The Social Network.” In fact, he was the only good thing about it – most overrated movie I’ve seen in some time, with “Moneyball” a close second.

• 4d3fect - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM

@jdd428– beat me to it

4. mrwillie - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Alright!! Things I love, baseball- check, Braves- check, Clint Eastwood- check, redheads- check….Awesome, I can’t wait.

Oh, what? Justin Timberlake….&*$%#. Never mind then.

• patsandsox - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Redheads, Baseball, and Eastwood sound great to me.

5. hansob - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I know what you’re thinking. Did he throw just throw pitch number 150 in the bottom of the 8th inning? Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I’ve kinda lost track myself. But being this is a 6 foot 4, 250 pound flamethrower- throwing the fastest pitch in the world that would break you handle clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question–Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk!

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Can’t tell if that is a reference to Dirty Harry….or how Dusty Baker manages his young pitchers….

6. icanspeel - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Liked the first part of the trailer, then it kind of lost me.. I’ll still probably watch it, but wait until DVD/Blu Ray.

7. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:37 PM

An old baseball guy that hates his computers? Bud Selig already preordered his tickets.

• ajcardsfan - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:45 PM

He probably backed the entire movie

8. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:37 PM

An old baseball guy that hates computers? Bud Selig already preordered his tickets.

9. mianfr - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I can only imagine what twists and turns this movie’s plot will take me on! Do you think he finds redemption after hitting a bottom??

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:16 PM

The twist involves Juan Pierre breaking his neck on the bleachers when he dives for a foul ball.

10. ihatepancakes - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:05 PM

As long as somewhere in this movie he says “Get off my lawn”, I’m in.

Conversation between writer and casting director:
    Writer: We need a grumpy old man, who swears by his old ways and doesn’t take crap from young people.
    Casting Director: How about Clint Eastwood?
    Writer: GOLD!

• cleverbob - Aug 9, 2012 at 8:31 AM

He actually points a fungo bat at a SABR consultant and says “get off my infield”…

11. mybrunoblog - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I love Clint Eastwood but didn’t he swear that Gran Torino would be the last movie he would act in?
    Then again I guess when your a living legend you can do wtf you want.

• keithbangedyermom - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Yes he did.

• ezthinking - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM

and yes he can.

• ajcardsfan - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM

He did say that, but how do we know he didn’t go back in time to shoot this film? He is Clint Eastwood after all

12. jgreiner9 - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:09 PM

It is taking this movie forever to come out. I was in college, playing in an away series at Southeastern Louisiana back in 2009 and Justin timberlake was taking batting practice with Southeastern Louisiana. It was supposed to be his training time for the movie, trying to get him ready for filming. It had to have been pretty early on in the training because….yea not too good. I was wondering if this movie got canceled or if it was a straight to DVD movie or something.

• cleverbob - Aug 9, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Mustn’t be very good if they’ve been sitting on it for that long.

13. metalhead65 - Aug 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM

well if craig doesn’t like then I will see it. who am I gonna listen to Clint Eastwood or mr. saber metric? and although I despise his “music” I have to say timberlake does a pretty good job on screen.

14. 18thstreet - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Love the Shining mashup. Gotta share this one, which is my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kqqMXWEFs

15. lostsok - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Holy crap that looks good.

16. extremepanic - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Amy Adams is smokin’ hot. I don’t care about anything else in that movie.

• yankeefanincolo - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Agreed about Amy Adams! I’d watch this movie for that reason alone, but add Clint Eastwood and baseball, and it’s a no-brainer… I’m there!

17. exibitsman - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Sounds like a pretty good movie.
    To bad that LiL phag Justine timberlake’s is in it.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM

1) Why is it necessary to gay bash?

2) Justin Timberlake is at least 6 feet tall and kinda ripped so not exactly “lil”

and

3) He’s actually quite a good actor. I’ve never been a fan of his music, but to dismiss a movie because of his involvement is actually pretty stupid.

Frankly, even though he made some lame boy band and pop music I’m sure everyone here would much rather have a beer with him then you.

• cleverbob - Aug 9, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I’d also much rather pull the Grade A trim that he’s pulling.

18. butchhuskey - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I personally don’t like Justin Timberlake as an actor because while he’s not stiff, he has little range and always comes across as kind of a smarmy a-hole no matter what movie it is. He was good in The Social Network because he just had to act like a douche who was in live with himself, which is really all he can play convincingly.

• Reflex - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:35 AM

This right here. I don’t necessarily mind JT in a movie, but he has really only one character to play. And my bet is that its himself. Of course thats a lot of actors so I probably shouldn’t hold it too much against him.

19. acdc363 - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Wow Matthew Lillard I haven’t seen him in ages!

• butchhuskey - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I guess you haven’t seen The Descendants then

20. pellypell - Aug 9, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Mr. Eastwood doesn’t make bad movies. The director of this one, Robert Lorenz, played second fiddle to Eastwood when directing: Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, as well as Absolute Power. He also produced a slew of gems including: Changeling & Gran Torino.

When Eastwood and Lorenz team up, it’s almost “can’t miss”

I have high hopes for this one.

21. bravojawja - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:27 AM

There are two reasons to see this movie: Amy. Adams.

Oh, and baseball and the Braves and the movie was shot on location here in Atlanta and Rome (the Braves’ A-ball team).

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester