Aug 8, 2012, 4:30 PM EST
Back in May the San Francisco Chronicle reported that the Giants and Melky Cabrera would try to talk about a contract extension this summer. Jon Heyman reports, however, that those talks are now on hold. Unless they’re resumed between now and October, Cabrera will hit free agency.
Melky is having a career year, hitting .353/.399/.530, leading the league in runs and hits. He turns 28 in three days. He’s certainly worth an extension of some kind, even if it’s not realistic to assume that he’s going to be a .350 hitter year-in-year-out.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)