Aug 8, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
Back in May the San Francisco Chronicle reported that the Giants and Melky Cabrera would try to talk about a contract extension this summer. Jon Heyman reports, however, that those talks are now on hold. Unless they’re resumed between now and October, Cabrera will hit free agency.
Melky is having a career year, hitting .353/.399/.530, leading the league in runs and hits. He turns 28 in three days. He’s certainly worth an extension of some kind, even if it’s not realistic to assume that he’s going to be a .350 hitter year-in-year-out.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 25
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 44
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 48
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)