Aug 8, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
Back in May the San Francisco Chronicle reported that the Giants and Melky Cabrera would try to talk about a contract extension this summer. Jon Heyman reports, however, that those talks are now on hold. Unless they’re resumed between now and October, Cabrera will hit free agency.
Melky is having a career year, hitting .353/.399/.530, leading the league in runs and hits. He turns 28 in three days. He’s certainly worth an extension of some kind, even if it’s not realistic to assume that he’s going to be a .350 hitter year-in-year-out.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 99
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 28
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (99)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)