Aug 8, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
Back in May the San Francisco Chronicle reported that the Giants and Melky Cabrera would try to talk about a contract extension this summer. Jon Heyman reports, however, that those talks are now on hold. Unless they’re resumed between now and October, Cabrera will hit free agency.
Melky is having a career year, hitting .353/.399/.530, leading the league in runs and hits. He turns 28 in three days. He’s certainly worth an extension of some kind, even if it’s not realistic to assume that he’s going to be a .350 hitter year-in-year-out.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million