Aug 8, 2012, 4:30 PM EST
Back in May the San Francisco Chronicle reported that the Giants and Melky Cabrera would try to talk about a contract extension this summer. Jon Heyman reports, however, that those talks are now on hold. Unless they’re resumed between now and October, Cabrera will hit free agency.
Melky is having a career year, hitting .353/.399/.530, leading the league in runs and hits. He turns 28 in three days. He’s certainly worth an extension of some kind, even if it’s not realistic to assume that he’s going to be a .350 hitter year-in-year-out.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)