And now, your postseason schedule

Aug 9, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

Bunting

You may now alert your relatives that you’ll only be seeing them on a couple of days in October, because the postseason schedule was just released by Major League Baseball.  It breaks down thusly:

• Tuesday, October 2: My mom’s 64th birthday. Just thought you should know.
  • Wednesday, October 3: Last day of regular season. It will not be as good as the last day of last year’s regular season, though I’m still not ruling out a Braves collapse;
  • Thursday, October 4: Any necessary regular season tiebreaker games, broadcast exclusively by TBS. No idea what happens if they have to go all round-robin with this thing. Maybe they’ll invent a day. Blursday or something;
  • Friday, October 5: The new one-and-done wild card games. Excitement out the yang!  Broadcast by TBS.
  • Saturday, October 6: Two of the Division Series will begin. The one with the two division champions (i.e. not the winner of the play-in games) participating.
  • Sunday, October 7: The other two Division Series begin, and the already started Division Series continue. The Division Series will run though — potentially — Friday, October 12, with Games Fives being played on the 11th and 12th. TBS will air 18 of the 20 Division Series games. MLB Network will do one telecast on Sunday, October 7 and another on Wednesday, October 10.

Note: For this year only, the Division Series begin with two home games for the lower seeds in a 2-3 format. Two road games for the better team to kick off a best of five series! Fun! Fair!  It will return to a 2-2-1 format next year with the higher seeded teams starting at home because they have time to futz with the regular season schedule more next year.

• Saturady, October 13: The ALCS begins. Broadcast on TBS.
  • Sunday, October 14: the NLCS begins. Broadcast on FOX.
  • Monday, October 15: All of the idiot football writers will scrawl out their annual “baseball is dead because the LCS ratings were topped by the Podunk Tech vs. Exploit U. game on Saturday and some boring NFL matchup we’re all going to pretend was interesting on Sunday” columns.  Then I’ll copy and paste my usual post about why they’re wrong.
  • The potential Game Sevens of the ALCS and NLCS will be on Sunday, October 21 and Monday, October 22, respectively.
  • Wednesday, October 24Game One of the 2012 World Series!  It’s in the NL representative’s park (because this time it counts, yo!) and I’ll be there this year because I clearly have something to add to the proceedings. There will be a day off on Friday the 26th, and Game Three in the AL park will be on Saturday, October 27.
  • A Game Seven, if necessary, would be played on Thursday, November 1. That’s my dad’s 69th birthday, by the way.

Note II: Even though this could end in November, there is still ONLY ONE OCTOBER!

Note III:  The whole World Series is on FOX because God doesn’t love us and hates to see us happy.

Note IV: Her father is the district attorney!!!

Anyway, mark your calendars and stuff.

1. mrmaguda - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

You can’t tell me not to see him!!!

2. allisonhagen - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I guess my arrival for a visit on October 5th isn’t important enough. :(

• number42is1 - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM

well… we all know what craig WON’T be doing on Oct 5th now

• foreverchipper10 - Aug 10, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Aw, you two will be celebrating my 29th!

3. number42is1 - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Craig – any word on which League gets the Oct 11th start?

• number42is1 - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM

sorry.. meant Oct 6th

4. hgulkkcaj - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I’ve got my alarm set for your October 15th post. Can’t wait!

5. sdelmonte - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Fox beats TBS for those of us without cable. Though if ESPN ever gets the playoffs, maybe they will negotiate to have the games stream as part of the ESPN3 package that many (myself included) get through our ISP. (The post-season package that MLB.com offers is pretty meh, if also pretty cheap.)

• mcs7584 - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:50 PM

You’re right. The baseball playoffs is not reason enough for me to get cable, even if only for one month. I wonder how long before it’s all on cable, though. I didn’t get the post-season mlb.com package. Do you get the national feed or something else? Why do you say it’s “meh?”

• sdelmonte - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:11 PM

At least with the package I bought in 2010, I got alternate camera angles than the ones being used on TBS. (I specifically bought it to watch the end of the Hallady no-hitter, and then watched sporadically.) I would hear the TBS broadcasters, but after the play was over, the conversation about the instant replay was no accompanied by anything like instant reply. And the angles were sort of odd, though I don’t recall in what way.

Also, the package only covered TBS game, so if you were in a situation where you couldn’t watch Fox, you were out of luck.

• sportsdrenched.com - Aug 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Good to know DelMonte. I cut the cord a month ago and have been pretty happy with MLB.tv, ESPN3 & OTA Channels.

This post had me researching how to stream the TBS games for the post season.

I’ll have to wait and see how busy I am during this years post season to see if I’m springing to postseason.tv or not.

6. humanexcrement - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM

So the baseball and football writers are the geeks and jocks of the sportswriting hierarchy, eh?

7. mybrunoblog - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM

November world series? Another epic fail Bud Selig.

8. keithbangedyermom - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Only Selig would start a series at the home of the worse team. What an idiot.

9. huffdaddyco - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:26 PM

You mock all you want, but that homecoming game when Podunk Tech travels to Exploit U. is going to be pretty big this year.

• kopy - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM

But who cares, the win is going to be vacated anyway. Podunk Tech is still on probation because their backup TE accepted a free car ride of a distance greater than 30 miles, and the kicker at Exploit U went more than 90 days without returning that $10 he borrowed from a fan to buy lunch when he left his wallet in his dorm.

• sportsdrenched.com - Aug 9, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Did you know Exploitsville becomes the largest city in South Fraudulant on gamedays? That’s amazing!

10. kalinedrive - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Monday, October 1: My mom and dad’s 63rd wedding anniversary.

Side note: My mom once had Ernie Harwell himself wish her happy birthday on WJR radio.

• keithbangedyermom - Aug 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

wow …that is awesome. Don’t see that much anymore.

11. clavette - Aug 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Theres gonna be some great playoff baseball this year. Unfortunately for the mlb they will be slaughtered every monday, thursday, saturday and sunday in ratings by the nfl and college football

12. hushbrother - Aug 9, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Anyone who watched the 2003 ALCS will get the Ron Silver reference.

13. badmamainphilliesjamas - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM