Aug 9, 2012, 8:53 AM EST
I know I mention this a couple of times a year and I know it makes me sound like a big freakin’ crank, but I’ll say it again anyway: most inside the park homers are lame.
Case in point: Eric Young had one last night in the Rockies-Dodgers game. Video here. The picture to the right says it all, though: it was an inside the parker by virtue of Matt Kemp misplaying the ball off the wall, which he allowed to dribble back into shallow center.
Most inside the park homers are like that. Either a misplay, or an outfielder falling down or something. Much like triple plays — which are often themselves the product of a mental error by a baserunner or happen by sheer dumb luck — I find inside the park home runs to be kinda boring and anti-climactic.
For exciting plays, give me clean triples, or runners scoring from either first or second base on close plays. Defensively, give me an around-the-horn double play or a laser throw from an outfielder.
And get off my lawn.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)