Aug 9, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
I know I mention this a couple of times a year and I know it makes me sound like a big freakin’ crank, but I’ll say it again anyway: most inside the park homers are lame.
Case in point: Eric Young had one last night in the Rockies-Dodgers game. Video here. The picture to the right says it all, though: it was an inside the parker by virtue of Matt Kemp misplaying the ball off the wall, which he allowed to dribble back into shallow center.
Most inside the park homers are like that. Either a misplay, or an outfielder falling down or something. Much like triple plays — which are often themselves the product of a mental error by a baserunner or happen by sheer dumb luck — I find inside the park home runs to be kinda boring and anti-climactic.
For exciting plays, give me clean triples, or runners scoring from either first or second base on close plays. Defensively, give me an around-the-horn double play or a laser throw from an outfielder.
And get off my lawn.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 13
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 4
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 22
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (104)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car