Aug 9, 2012, 7:04 PM EDT
Jason Kubel launched his 24th and 25th homers Thursday as part of Arizona’s 6-3 win over Pittsburgh. Despite some recent struggles, he’s the team leader in homers (by nine) and in RBI (by 11). He’s also hitting .281, which would be the second-highest mark of his career.
I wasn’t nearly as down on the Diamondbacks’ Kubel signing last winter as many in the twitterverse, but I did call it a “luxury signing” due to Gerardo Parra‘s presence on the roster. The mistake many made was in looking at it as though the Diamondbacks were choosing Kubel over Parra. What they should have realized is that there would be plenty of room for both.
Of course, Kubel may well have already gone from being underrated last winter to overrated now. While Target Field was an awful place for him to hit as a member of the Twins, Chase Field is making him look quite a bit better than he truly is; 17 of his 25 homers have come at home.
The Diamondbacks, though, won’t have to worry about someone else overpaying him this winter based on those numbers; Kubel will be in the middle of a two-year deal worth a modest $16 million. With Parra also capable of starting, the Diamondbacks will have flexibility in the outfield if they decide to trade Justin Upton or Chris Young this winter.
Ideally, they’d keep the foursome together. However, whereas Upton, Young and Parra cost a combined $14.25 million this year, the salaries figure to climb to about $20.5 million next season and the Diamondbacks may want to spend some of that money elsewhere.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 46
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 49
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)