Aug 9, 2012, 7:04 PM EDT
Jason Kubel launched his 24th and 25th homers Thursday as part of Arizona’s 6-3 win over Pittsburgh. Despite some recent struggles, he’s the team leader in homers (by nine) and in RBI (by 11). He’s also hitting .281, which would be the second-highest mark of his career.
I wasn’t nearly as down on the Diamondbacks’ Kubel signing last winter as many in the twitterverse, but I did call it a “luxury signing” due to Gerardo Parra‘s presence on the roster. The mistake many made was in looking at it as though the Diamondbacks were choosing Kubel over Parra. What they should have realized is that there would be plenty of room for both.
Of course, Kubel may well have already gone from being underrated last winter to overrated now. While Target Field was an awful place for him to hit as a member of the Twins, Chase Field is making him look quite a bit better than he truly is; 17 of his 25 homers have come at home.
The Diamondbacks, though, won’t have to worry about someone else overpaying him this winter based on those numbers; Kubel will be in the middle of a two-year deal worth a modest $16 million. With Parra also capable of starting, the Diamondbacks will have flexibility in the outfield if they decide to trade Justin Upton or Chris Young this winter.
Ideally, they’d keep the foursome together. However, whereas Upton, Young and Parra cost a combined $14.25 million this year, the salaries figure to climb to about $20.5 million next season and the Diamondbacks may want to spend some of that money elsewhere.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 70
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)