Aug 9, 2012, 4:33 PM EDT
It’s not terribly surprising that Jim Leyland is going to say that he thinks his guys — Miguel Cabrera — should be the MVP over someone else.* But his comments about why Mike Trout may win the award instead of Cabrera are pretty fun:
“I mean this respectfully,” Leyland said during the interview. “I don’t mean this disrespectfully — I think what could be a little problem for Miggy … he could run into one of these Wonderboy stories.
“You know — a young kid, 20 years old, everybody gets excited about that, everybody loves that. It has a nice ring to hit, it should have. So I think that’s dangerous for Miggy.”
Between “clown question, bro,” “blinkin’ fertilizer” and now “wonderboy stories,” this has been a pretty good year for silliness. Maybe it’s just society.
That aside, I think it’s a little rich of Leyland to argue that some sort of off-the-field narrative (Trout’s Wonderboy status) may unfairly drive the MVP race when, in the very same interview he says that Cabrera’s track record — he talks about Cabrera’s career numbers — should be taken into consideration. Neither Trout’s age nor Cabrera’s past performance should have any bearing for a single season award.
*Please forget for a moment that last year Leyland publicly said that he didn’t think his guy, Justin Verlander, should win the MVP award.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)