Aug 9, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT
Machado, the No. 3 overall pick of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft, started at third base and batted ninth. After grounding out to shortstop in his first at-bat in the second inning, he led off the fifth with an opposite-field triple to the right-center field gap and came around to score on a sacrifice fly by Nick Markakis. Interestingly enough, Wieters’ first major league hit was also a triple.
Machado reached on an infield single in the seventh inning after beating out a slow roller to second base. He had a chance at a third hit in the ninth inning, but popped out behind second base for the final out of the ballgame. The 20-year-old looked pretty comfortable at third base despite making just two pro starts there prior to tonight’s game. Wilson Betemit should still get some playing time at the hot corner against some right-handed starters, but the O’s didn’t bring Machado up to have him sit on the bench.
Wei-Yin Chen had his worst start as a member of the Orioles tonight, giving up seven runs over 4 2/3 innings. Billy Butler fell a single short of the cycle for the Royals, collecting a three-run homer, a double and his first triple since 2009. “Country Breakfast” had two chances for the elusive single, but he struck out swinging in his final two at-bats.
The loss snapped a five-game winning streak for the Orioles, who now sit at 60-52 on the year. They are currently 5 1/2 games behind the Yankees in the American League East and are in a flat-footed tie with the Tigers for the second Wild Card spot.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 23
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 11
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)