Aug 9, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT
Machado, the No. 3 overall pick of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft, started at third base and batted ninth. After grounding out to shortstop in his first at-bat in the second inning, he led off the fifth with an opposite-field triple to the right-center field gap and came around to score on a sacrifice fly by Nick Markakis. Interestingly enough, Wieters’ first major league hit was also a triple.
Machado reached on an infield single in the seventh inning after beating out a slow roller to second base. He had a chance at a third hit in the ninth inning, but popped out behind second base for the final out of the ballgame. The 20-year-old looked pretty comfortable at third base despite making just two pro starts there prior to tonight’s game. Wilson Betemit should still get some playing time at the hot corner against some right-handed starters, but the O’s didn’t bring Machado up to have him sit on the bench.
Wei-Yin Chen had his worst start as a member of the Orioles tonight, giving up seven runs over 4 2/3 innings. Billy Butler fell a single short of the cycle for the Royals, collecting a three-run homer, a double and his first triple since 2009. “Country Breakfast” had two chances for the elusive single, but he struck out swinging in his final two at-bats.
The loss snapped a five-game winning streak for the Orioles, who now sit at 60-52 on the year. They are currently 5 1/2 games behind the Yankees in the American League East and are in a flat-footed tie with the Tigers for the second Wild Card spot.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)