Orioles promote top prospect Dylan Bundy to Double-A

Aug 9, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

Dylan Bundy AP

Dylan Bundy is on the move for the second time in less than three months, as the Orioles have promoted the No. 4 overall pick in the 2011 draft from high Single-A to Double-A.

For a 19-year-old in his first pro season to play at three different levels is pretty rare, but Bundy posted a ridiculous 0.00 ERA in 30 innings at low Single-A and has been fantastic at high Single-A with a 2.57 ERA and 56/15 K/BB ratio in 49 innings.

He doesn’t turn 20 years old until November, but this promotion gives Bundy a chance to face strong competition for the final month of the season and lines him up to possibly reach the majors around the middle of next year if he continues to thrive.

He projects as a potential No. 1 starter and Baseball America‘s midseason rankings update pegged him as the top prospect in all of baseball now that Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, and Matt Moore are in the majors for good.

1. ajcardsfan - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Congrats to Bundy. I hope the Orioles don’t try to rush him, but I’m looking forward to seeing him hit the majors.

2. lapsncaps - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Sept call-up similar to David Price for that one final push coming out of the pen. But that is just wishful thinking. Doing the commute everyday from Baltimore to DC, I don’t see why I don’t take the MARC from Bowie instead of Halethorpe and then I am right there at the stadium for the game. Sounds like a win-win.

• samu0034 - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I guess it wouldn’t surprise me too much if the O’s did that, but I don’t think it’d be a good move. Remember that Price was an experienced college pitcher when the Rays called him up. Bundy’s what, 3 years younger than Price was? 4? I think it’d be a bad call to push Bundy that hard, but hey maybe he’d thrive.

• lapsncaps - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Which is why it was just wishful thinking

3. bmorelikeme - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I wonder if the O’s are going to give him back his cutter. They haven’t allowed him to throw the pitch during games this season, but I think they should give him back his best offering. The confidence boost he could get may be the best thing for his development at this point.

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I was going to ask this exact same question. Clearly the dude has the talent with his “secondary” pitches to be dominant, but you might not want to keep upping the ante competition wise without his full compliment of pitches. Maybe just tell him to use it sparingly?

So glad this guy isn’t in the NL Central.

• redguy12588 - Aug 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Generally teams don’t let the player use his entire arsenal until AAA, but Bundy should definitely be given more freedom in AA.

4. southpaw2k - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I’m still not convinced Bundy is human. He’s either another survivor from Krypton, or he’s a cyborg.

5. xxsweepthelegxx - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Speaking of wishful thinking…..can we trade Josh Beckett for him straight up??? haha…..I can dream can’t I?

• lapsncaps - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM

include Lester and its a deal!

6. lapsncaps - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Its quantity over quality…right?

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4056)