Aug 9, 2012, 7:31 PM EST
Pablo Sandoval hasn’t played since straining his left hamstring while stretching for a throw at first base on July 24, but he’s ready to return to game action.
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Sandoval is scheduled to play five innings at third base tomorrow when he begins a minor league rehab assignment with High-A San Jose. Giants manager Bruce Bochy thinks he “more than likely would play two of three games down there” before returning, which means he’ll likely be activated for Monday’s series opener against the Nationals if all goes well.
Sandoval, 25, is batting .299/.352/.491 with eight home runs, 33 RBI and an .843 OPS in 62 games played this season. The recently-acquired Marco Scutaro has filled in quite nicely at third base, including a career-high seven RBI last night, but he’ll likely see more playing time between second base and shortstop once Sandoval is ready to return.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 9
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)