Aug 9, 2012, 11:01 AM EST
What did Mexico ever do to us? We took half their land under the banner of Manifest Destiny, our insatiable appetite for drugs has ripped that country apart with violence and for decades we have sent our most vapid and annoying college students to Cancun on spring break. Now we go even lower:
Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow returned from Mexico on Wednesday after meeting with United States ambassador to Mexico Earl Anthony Wayne about growing baseball in the nation and in particular the Astros brand … Luhnow said there have been early conversations about the Astros playing a game or games in either Mexico City or Monterrey.
I kid, of course. The Astros are bad, but I’m pretty sure taking California, Texas and stuff from them was way worse.
OK, now total seriousness: I like this a lot. It always seemed to me that Major League Baseball should do more to promote the game in Mexico. Yes, that’s tough given that Mexico has its own major leagues and likely doesn’t want us crowding that stuff out, but why there isn’t more going on down there has always been a mystery to me.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 48
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 187
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (201)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (100)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)