Aug 9, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
On the one hand, waiting three whole innings — three innings! — in line for a sandwich at a ballpark is stupid. On the other hand, when the three innings you’re missing come in a 13-0 drubbing of the Mets by the Marlins, it’s hard to say you wasted your time:
New York City celebrity butcher Pat LaFrieda has taken his talents to Citi Field. Last night the meat master debuted a filet mignon steak sandwich stand at a game between the New York Mets and Miami Marlins. The sandwich features hand-cut 100% black angus seared filet mignon, Monterey jack cheese, sweet caramelized onions, and is served with a secret au jus on a custom-made and toasted French baguette.
As a guy who drank champagne and ate prime rib in the Tiger Club at Comerica Park on Sunday, I have no standing whatsoever to play the purist card and claim that this sandwich is too much for a baseball game. Sue me: nice things can be nice.
But man, even at a Mets game, I can’t feature waiting in a line 70-people long, as the author of this story did, to get a steak sandwich. No matter how delicious it looks. And holy crap does it look delicious.
Screw it. I’ll have a steak sandwich and … a steak sandwich. Bill it to the Underhills.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)