Aug 9, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
On the one hand, waiting three whole innings — three innings! — in line for a sandwich at a ballpark is stupid. On the other hand, when the three innings you’re missing come in a 13-0 drubbing of the Mets by the Marlins, it’s hard to say you wasted your time:
New York City celebrity butcher Pat LaFrieda has taken his talents to Citi Field. Last night the meat master debuted a filet mignon steak sandwich stand at a game between the New York Mets and Miami Marlins. The sandwich features hand-cut 100% black angus seared filet mignon, Monterey jack cheese, sweet caramelized onions, and is served with a secret au jus on a custom-made and toasted French baguette.
As a guy who drank champagne and ate prime rib in the Tiger Club at Comerica Park on Sunday, I have no standing whatsoever to play the purist card and claim that this sandwich is too much for a baseball game. Sue me: nice things can be nice.
But man, even at a Mets game, I can’t feature waiting in a line 70-people long, as the author of this story did, to get a steak sandwich. No matter how delicious it looks. And holy crap does it look delicious.
Screw it. I’ll have a steak sandwich and … a steak sandwich. Bill it to the Underhills.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)