Aug 9, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
On the one hand, waiting three whole innings — three innings! — in line for a sandwich at a ballpark is stupid. On the other hand, when the three innings you’re missing come in a 13-0 drubbing of the Mets by the Marlins, it’s hard to say you wasted your time:
New York City celebrity butcher Pat LaFrieda has taken his talents to Citi Field. Last night the meat master debuted a filet mignon steak sandwich stand at a game between the New York Mets and Miami Marlins. The sandwich features hand-cut 100% black angus seared filet mignon, Monterey jack cheese, sweet caramelized onions, and is served with a secret au jus on a custom-made and toasted French baguette.
As a guy who drank champagne and ate prime rib in the Tiger Club at Comerica Park on Sunday, I have no standing whatsoever to play the purist card and claim that this sandwich is too much for a baseball game. Sue me: nice things can be nice.
But man, even at a Mets game, I can’t feature waiting in a line 70-people long, as the author of this story did, to get a steak sandwich. No matter how delicious it looks. And holy crap does it look delicious.
Screw it. I’ll have a steak sandwich and … a steak sandwich. Bill it to the Underhills.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)