Aug 9, 2012, 9:12 AM EST
On the one hand, waiting three whole innings — three innings! — in line for a sandwich at a ballpark is stupid. On the other hand, when the three innings you’re missing come in a 13-0 drubbing of the Mets by the Marlins, it’s hard to say you wasted your time:
New York City celebrity butcher Pat LaFrieda has taken his talents to Citi Field. Last night the meat master debuted a filet mignon steak sandwich stand at a game between the New York Mets and Miami Marlins. The sandwich features hand-cut 100% black angus seared filet mignon, Monterey jack cheese, sweet caramelized onions, and is served with a secret au jus on a custom-made and toasted French baguette.
As a guy who drank champagne and ate prime rib in the Tiger Club at Comerica Park on Sunday, I have no standing whatsoever to play the purist card and claim that this sandwich is too much for a baseball game. Sue me: nice things can be nice.
But man, even at a Mets game, I can’t feature waiting in a line 70-people long, as the author of this story did, to get a steak sandwich. No matter how delicious it looks. And holy crap does it look delicious.
Screw it. I’ll have a steak sandwich and … a steak sandwich. Bill it to the Underhills.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)