There is a very special steak sandwich to be had at Citi Field

Aug 9, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT

Citi Field

On the one hand, waiting three whole innings — three innings! — in line for a sandwich at a ballpark is stupid.  On the other hand, when the three innings you’re missing come in a 13-0 drubbing of the Mets by the Marlins, it’s hard to say you wasted your time:

New York City celebrity butcher Pat LaFrieda has taken his talents to Citi Field. Last night the meat master debuted a filet mignon steak sandwich stand at a game between the New York Mets and Miami Marlins. The sandwich features hand-cut 100% black angus seared filet mignon, Monterey jack cheese, sweet caramelized onions, and is served with a secret au jus on a custom-made and toasted French baguette.

As a guy who drank champagne and ate prime rib in the Tiger Club at Comerica Park on Sunday, I have no standing whatsoever to play the purist card and claim that this sandwich is too much for a baseball game. Sue me: nice things can be nice.

But man, even at a Mets game, I can’t feature waiting in a line 70-people long, as the author of this story did, to get a steak sandwich. No matter how delicious it looks. And holy crap does it look delicious.

Screw it. I’ll have a steak sandwich and … a steak sandwich. Bill it to the Underhills.

1. sdelmonte - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I can’t believe that any New Yorker waited in line (or, as we still say here, on line) for that long. We don’t do lines.

OTOH, it would allow people to miss that game. OW.

• Alex K - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM

When I lived there I never even took the time to wait on the Shake Shack line. I can’t imagine waiting on that line.

• hasbeen5 - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM

There isn’t a line painted on the ground on which to stand. There is a line of people, of which you’re a part. Therefore, in line > on line.

• hokiegajanisgod - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM

What?

• natslady - Aug 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Same for waited on. If I’m waiting on someone I am in the service industry. When I’m meeting someone, I am waiting FOR him.

• thefalcon123 - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Do we live in the same New York? Essentially, all of New York is a giant, endless line.

• Alex K - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Truth.

• sdelmonte - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM

My New York is more an endless crowd scene where we might all be waiting but never in an organized fashion. Especially to get food.

2. sgtr0c - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Steak sandwich beef needs a little fat for the best flavor. Filet mig is to lean a cut, it needs to stay with the baked potato.

• kiwicricket - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Thinking the same thing. A very expensive cut of meat for something that goes in a sandwich. O.T.T. Could spend the money saved on a few char grilled vege’s to nestle in among the cow.

• cur68 - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:04 PM

You guys aren’t getting any love with the thumb brigade, but you happen to be right. Who the heck sticks beautiful, delicious filet mignon in bread?

• crisisjunky - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Perhaps you should consider becoming a Jay’s fan, where you can get your statin prescription at a more reasonable cost. Of course you would have to wait in/on line for a while.

3. billobrienschindimple - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:24 AM

“Bill it to the Underhills.”

Well played sir. Well played.

• ajcardsfan - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I’m afraid I’m gonna have to pull rank on you. I didn’t want to have to do this. I’m with the Mattress Police.

4. kkolchak - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Great Fletch reference. :)

5. mybrunoblog - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:28 AM

70 people waited in that long line? So the other 18 people at the ballpark must have passed on the steak sandwich.

6. jerryball22 - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Yes, very good. I’ll have a Bloody Mary and a steak sandwich and…a steak sandwich

7. number42is1 - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM

…And to drink…. Meatballs!
    Excellent choice sir!

8. deadeyedesign23 - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Steak sandwiches are already delicious. You’re gilding the lilly. I’ll be just fine with my 15 dollar regular ol cheese steak. God only knows how much this things costs.

• number42is1 - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

ummm.. $15

• deadeyedesign23 - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I was being hyperbolic about the price of things at a game. I’m 90% sure a steak sandwich at Citifield is $8 so that would make this one nearly twice as much.

9. Detroit Michael - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Darn! Two more hours until lunch still. Even then, I won’t be eating a steak sandwich.

10. stex52 - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Cover your filet mignon with jack cheese and caramelized onions? Take a nice thin slice from a chuck and you will get as good a flavor. Not even worried about the price. It just seems like a waste of the best meat cut. Although I wouldn’t turn it down.

11. Kevin S. - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Seriously, it’s like ordering a Long Island Iced Tea with Belvedere, Sapphire and Patron. When you mix the liquor with the sour and the triple sec, you can’t tell the difference between top shelf and well offerings. Your wallet can, though.

12. fissels - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I’m glad there is something positive about the Mets to reoprt on. Sure is tough to be a Mets fan these days. The team can’t compete and the ownership is so desperate they take on jerks like Bill Maher as co owners.

13. acdc363 - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Well I am officially starving. That sounds delicious!

14. bigleagues - Aug 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Ahhhh, the New York Mets!

Nothing more American (or New York) than baseball, apple pie and clubbing a baby cow over the head so you can carve its tender muscle off its tail bone and serve it at the ballpark!

Yummm!

What’s next faux gras?

Never mind, forget that I said it. Of course it’s next. There’s nothing more decadent . . . or pathetic as culinary excess goes anyway.

• bigleagues - Aug 9, 2012 at 11:30 AM

before i get hammered for misspelling foie gras – one, I don’t care and two, it was Freudian . . . faux gras is a real product:

• bigleagues - Aug 9, 2012 at 1:30 PM

People HATE blunt honesty when it comes to their food . . . although I do acknowledge that filet mignon is not necessarily cut from cows or calves for that matter.

15. crisisjunky - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM

As long as were talking Mets, why don’t we add a sidedish of Faux Pas-ta.

16. randygnyc - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I’ve loved in manhattan since 1988. Never heard of dPat Lafrieda butchers. Filet mignon seems to be the ballpark rage. In Minnesota, the Twins have the Murray’s sandwich (a little dry the few times I’ve had it). And the steak sandwich at Yankee stadium, lobels passes as decent, too.

• atlsp - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Famous Atlanta chef Kevin Rathbun has an outpost at Turner Field (new this year) that serves a steak sandwich made from prime NY strip sliced right in front of you. They drizzle the bun with au jus and serve it with a side of their horseradish sauce and kettle chips. $15 and worth every penny.

• stex52 - Aug 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Have you lived in Manhattan also? There’s a Freudian slip (or an auto-correct) if I ever saw one.

Or are you bragging?

17. foreverchipper10 - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I want that inside me.

18. seeingwhatsticks - Aug 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM

“I saved his life during the war.”

“You were in the war?”

“No, he was. I got him out.”

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5044)