Aug 10, 2012, 5:40 AM EDT
Royals 8, Orioles 2: Manny Machado made his major league debut. Two for four with a triple. Not bad! No one else did anything, however, and the Royals teed off on Wei-Yin Chen. Billy Butler hit a triple for cryin’ out loud. He had a homer too. Though it wasn’t a grand slam, sadly. Which would have been awesome. Probably woulda looked like this.
Cardinals 3, Giants 1: Adam Wainwright was on point, allowing one run over seven innings, evening his record to 10-10. Carlos Beltran hit a homer. He leads the NL in RBI. Kinda has to gall the Giants a bit seeing as though he didn’t help them all that much last year. And cost them a pitching prospect.
Rays 7, Blue Jays 1: The fantastic Rays pitching continues. Their staff has allowed one or zero runs in 13 of their last 19 games. If the offense can improve they’ll really have something. Evan Longoria‘s return — he had two RBI on three hits last night — is a step in the right direction.
Yankees 4, Tigers 3: Joaquin Benoit gave up back to back homers to Mark Teixeira and Eric Chavez, which turned the game around. Oh, and Joe Girardi went crazy and got ejected arguing a fair/foul call that was reversed on the fly, and that was a lot of fun.
Indians 5, Red Sox 3: Break up the Indians! A winning streak! Ubaldo Jimenez allowed three runs over six innings and struck out ten. The Red Sox have lost seven of nine. Probably time for someone to give some controversial quote now.
Nationals 5, Astros 0: The Nats basically toyed with Houston. Jordan Zimmermann struck out 11 over six three-hit shutout innings. Michael Morse hit two homers and had a sac fly. I’m wondering how the Astros would do facing nothing but Triple-A teams these days. Would they be a .500 team? Serious question.
The Reds and Cubs had a long rain delay and were only in the 6th inning when I hit the hay. I’ll catch up when I wake up.
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 17
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)