Aug 10, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
Before you say anything, yes, it is a slow news day. Believe me, if there were three-team trades and actual baseball drama going on at the moment, I’d be writing about it. But there isn’t, so you get more stuff like this:
Bobby Wilson spent his off day Thursday lamenting all the guff he’s taken as the Angels’ backup catcher. He got so tired of it he quit Twitter.
This is what he tweeted from his account, @BW46, at 10:57 a.m.:
“I’m done with twitter. Try to be fan friendly and all I get is criticism. I wasn’t blessed with 5 tools. I worked hard to get here.”
He meant it, too. His account has been deleted.
On one level it’s pretty sad that a professional athlete felt like he was being picked on by fans badly enough to warrant this. But it’s way, way sadder than anyone on the planet was motivated enough to hate on someone like Bobby Wilson.
What on Earth has he ever done to anyone? He’s an otherwise unremarkable backup catcher who makes near-minimum money and isn’t blocking playing time from anyone else that I know of. Getting angry at him is like getting angry at bread. Or a mostly reliable late model used car. What possible reason would anyone have for actually hating on him?
Oh well. The Internet.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 77
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 40
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 15
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 5
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 70
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (78)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement