Aug 10, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
Before you say anything, yes, it is a slow news day. Believe me, if there were three-team trades and actual baseball drama going on at the moment, I’d be writing about it. But there isn’t, so you get more stuff like this:
Bobby Wilson spent his off day Thursday lamenting all the guff he’s taken as the Angels’ backup catcher. He got so tired of it he quit Twitter.
This is what he tweeted from his account, @BW46, at 10:57 a.m.:
“I’m done with twitter. Try to be fan friendly and all I get is criticism. I wasn’t blessed with 5 tools. I worked hard to get here.”
He meant it, too. His account has been deleted.
On one level it’s pretty sad that a professional athlete felt like he was being picked on by fans badly enough to warrant this. But it’s way, way sadder than anyone on the planet was motivated enough to hate on someone like Bobby Wilson.
What on Earth has he ever done to anyone? He’s an otherwise unremarkable backup catcher who makes near-minimum money and isn’t blocking playing time from anyone else that I know of. Getting angry at him is like getting angry at bread. Or a mostly reliable late model used car. What possible reason would anyone have for actually hating on him?
Oh well. The Internet.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)