Angels catcher Bobby Wilson quit Twitter because of the criticism

Aug 10, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT

Bobby Wilson AP

Before you say anything, yes, it is a slow news day. Believe me, if there were three-team trades and actual baseball drama going on at the moment, I’d be writing about it. But there isn’t, so you get more stuff like this:

Bobby Wilson spent his off day Thursday lamenting all the guff he’s taken as the Angels’ backup catcher. He got so tired of it he quit Twitter.

This is what he tweeted from his account, @BW46, at 10:57 a.m.:

“I’m done with twitter. Try to be fan friendly and all I get is criticism. I wasn’t blessed with 5 tools. I worked hard to get here.”

He meant it, too. His account has been deleted.

On one level it’s pretty sad that a professional athlete felt like he was being picked on by fans badly enough to warrant this.  But it’s way, way sadder than anyone on the planet was motivated enough to hate on someone like Bobby Wilson.

What on Earth has he ever done to anyone? He’s an otherwise unremarkable backup catcher who makes near-minimum money and isn’t blocking playing time from anyone else that I know of. Getting angry at him is like getting angry at bread. Or a mostly reliable late model used car. What possible reason would anyone have for actually hating on him?

Oh well. The Internet.

1. fearlessleader - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Angel fans are mad at Scioscia and the bullpen, but they can’t get to them, so they lash out at the more convenient backup catcher. In the dog training world, that’s known as a “displacement bite.”

2. natslady - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM

You’re welcome.

3. paperlions - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Maybe it’s just society.

4. cur68 - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Man’s gotta work with Scioscia. He’s got it tough enough and he hears all the criticism he needs to hear. Don’t blame him one bit.

5. fhuizar - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM

*ussy

• mgdsquiggy17 - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM

referring to yourself here huh?

• fhuizar - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Referring to a major league ball player who cant take criticism

If you’re in the league you gotta be able to take it.

• CJ - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM

you can’t get to the majors without being able to take criticism, dolt. That doesn’t give every 12 year old with a keyboard the right to give him crap. Nor does it necessitate the he has to sit there and take it. Get over yourself.

• The Common Man - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Would you keep doing something if there were a bunch of people continually yelling at you that you suck and much, much, much viler things? If he’s not getting as much enjoyment out of Twitter as he is misplaced anger and resentment from every jackass with a keyboard and 6 followers, why should he want to stick around? I’m genuinely surprised and happy that any athlete stays on Twitter for more than a week. But douchebags like you are going to keep it up until there aren’t any left. So thanks.

• raysfan1 - Aug 10, 2012 at 9:37 PM

You should have been referring to yourself, it would have been more accurate that way.

• Pierre Cruzatte - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I haven’t heard anybody get called a wussy since junior high. Grow up, man.

6. chill1184 - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Do you really blame the guy though? The stupidity and internet toughness on twitter is pretty much on par with Yahoo comment section, ESPN forums, and PFT to name a few.

• ThatGuy - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Take that back or i’ll fight you.

• bsbiz - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Perfect.

• cur68 - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Hang around here long enough and you’ll plenty of that. Almost no one gets on these things and says “I’m scrawny, wear glasses and still in school” and, if they do, they somehow imply that in their spare time this means they are Spiderman. Now if you’ll excuse me, I can sense that there is trouble somewhere and I must go deal with it.

• chill1184 - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM

LMAO you Sir win the thread. But seriously yea I know it goes on here on HBT too I realize that especially when it involved politics. Internet muscles here on HBT are pretty mild compared to other places.

• ajcardsfan - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM

PFT Commenters getting angry at everyone and everything since 1997

7. rempokesfan - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:58 PM

“…What possible reason would anyone have for actually hating on him?”

Good point, Craig!

Those silly fans on Twitter should leave the mean-spirited criticism to the professionals!

(See also Craig Calcaterra’s continuing smear campaign against Michael Young!)

“Oh well. The Internet.”

• raysfan1 - Aug 10, 2012 at 9:43 PM

All I’ve seen Craig do is comment that some of Michael Young’s statements would get other players labelled either whiners or non-team players. Hard to call that a smear since it happens to be true.

• mgdsquiggy17 - Aug 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I think he’s done more then that. Just the shear number or articles on MY is proof of that. However you are right a smear campaign is going to far. Dempster has been the latest fad.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey