Blame the New York hotel bed: Chipper Jones scratched from lineup with back soreness

Aug 10, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT

After checking into his hotel room in New York yesterday Chipper Jones tweeted the following:

There was a happy ending when someone from the hotel noticed his tweets and showed up at his door to fix the problems without being asked. Or at least it seemed like a happy ending at the time.

Apparently the bed really did make his back spasm up, because Jones was a late scratch from the Braves’ lineup today with … back soreness.

1. icanspeel - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I dunno how baseball players do it, but us normal people usually tell the front desk when there are issues in a hotel and they usually fix them for us.

• professormaddog31 - Aug 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

from reading Chip’s twitter feed, it looks like he tweeted his frustrations out first and before he had a chance to call the front desk, they had gotten wind of his posts? I don’t know. I’m not a baseball player but I don’t usually call the front desk right away until I have had time to vent my frustrations out too. I don’t relish sounding like an ass when I’m calling to complain.

2. brewcrewfan54 - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Chipper seems to really be enjoying twitter.

3. ezthinking - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Tweet or call the front desk…hmmm….I guess I’ll tweet. What a twit.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Look, we’re talking about Chipper’s back in 2012. There could have been a gentle breeze off the bay that threw his back out. If the other 24 guys on the roster are OK this morning, I’m gonna say the Hyatt was probably just fine.

5. Josh A. - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Perhaps the Mets slipped the Grand Hyatt some extra coin to give Chipper the “best room in the house,” so to speak. Although there was like, a 30% chance that Chipper would miss the game anyway, so maybe that “coin” would have been better spent on say, Michael Bourn’s room.

6. El Bravo - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Dagnammit!

7. randygnyc - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I can tell within 5 minutes if a hotel bed is bad for my back. How did Larry not have this remedied BEFORE it gave him spasms?

8. trybe29dr - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Welcome to NY Larry

9. alexo0 - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Someone showed up to Chipper’s hotel room to offer him a happy ending?

10. GoneYickitty - Aug 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM

The real story is that he used words in his tweets that normal people can understand! How sad.

• cur68 - Aug 11, 2012 at 2:07 AM

His back went mammo.

11. Glenn - Aug 10, 2012 at 7:59 PM

“Stella-a-a-a-a-a!”

– Elaine Benes, after a night on the elder Seinfeld’s couch bed in Boca Del Vista and on serious muscle relaxers.

12. doublebro - Aug 11, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Crybaby

13. exibitsman - Aug 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM

what a joke this punk is staying in one of the best hotels in country. these players Today are spoiled and overpaid.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2980)