Aug 10, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
One of the many remarkable things about the A’s rise to playoff contention is that they’ve done most of their winning without Brandon McCarthy, who’s been on the disabled list since mid-June with a shoulder injury.
Before going on the DL he was Oakland’s staff ace, throwing 78 innings with a 2.54 ERA and 52/19 K/BB ratio after doing similarly impressive work last year with a 3.32 ERA in 171 frames.
McCarthy missing big chunks of time with injuries is standard operating procedure, but he’s due back from the DL for tonight’s game against the White Sox. He reported no problems after a bullpen session earlier this week and tossed six shutout innings in his most recent rehab start.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)