Aug 10, 2012, 12:46 PM EST
One of the many remarkable things about the A’s rise to playoff contention is that they’ve done most of their winning without Brandon McCarthy, who’s been on the disabled list since mid-June with a shoulder injury.
Before going on the DL he was Oakland’s staff ace, throwing 78 innings with a 2.54 ERA and 52/19 K/BB ratio after doing similarly impressive work last year with a 3.32 ERA in 171 frames.
McCarthy missing big chunks of time with injuries is standard operating procedure, but he’s due back from the DL for tonight’s game against the White Sox. He reported no problems after a bullpen session earlier this week and tossed six shutout innings in his most recent rehab start.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)