Aug 10, 2012, 6:18 PM EST
The Cubs snapped their eight-game losing streak by beating the Reds on Thursday, but they returned to typical form Friday, committing five errors in a 10-8 loss to Cincinnati.
Anthony Rizzo, Starlin Castro, Josh Vitters, Brett Jackson and Welington Castillo all had miscues on a very windy day at Wrigley Field. The Cubs had five errors for the first time since committing six on Sept. 12, 2006 against the Dodgers.
Besides the errors, the Cubs had two wild pitches and a passed ball, they had two runners thrown out on the basepaths (Alfonso Soriano at home in the third, Starlin Castro at third with no outs in the sixth) and they had an outfield collision on a ball that dropped in the eighth, giving Brandon Phillips a single.
It wasn’t a particularly pretty game for the Reds either, but they did take advantage just enough to snap their five-game losing streak. Jonathan Broxton nearly blew a 9-6 lead by giving up two runs in the eighth, but Aroldis Chapman came in to get the final out of the inning and send the Reds on to the ninth up 9-8. After the offense got him an insurance run, he pitched a perfect ninth for his 26th save.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)