Aug 10, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
The Cubs snapped their eight-game losing streak by beating the Reds on Thursday, but they returned to typical form Friday, committing five errors in a 10-8 loss to Cincinnati.
Anthony Rizzo, Starlin Castro, Josh Vitters, Brett Jackson and Welington Castillo all had miscues on a very windy day at Wrigley Field. The Cubs had five errors for the first time since committing six on Sept. 12, 2006 against the Dodgers.
Besides the errors, the Cubs had two wild pitches and a passed ball, they had two runners thrown out on the basepaths (Alfonso Soriano at home in the third, Starlin Castro at third with no outs in the sixth) and they had an outfield collision on a ball that dropped in the eighth, giving Brandon Phillips a single.
It wasn’t a particularly pretty game for the Reds either, but they did take advantage just enough to snap their five-game losing streak. Jonathan Broxton nearly blew a 9-6 lead by giving up two runs in the eighth, but Aroldis Chapman came in to get the final out of the inning and send the Reds on to the ninth up 9-8. After the offense got him an insurance run, he pitched a perfect ninth for his 26th save.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)