Frank Viola’s daughter didn’t qualify for Olympic diving final

Aug 10, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

brittany viola

Former Cy Young winner Frank Viola’s daughter, Brittany Viola, finished 15th in the 10-meter platform diving semi-finals at the Olympics in London and was eliminated from the competition.

She was in good spirits afterward despite failing to advance:

My mind felt right, my body felt right. It just didn’t come together. Still, to be here was just incredible. I’m going to celebrate this journey. I never thought I’d be here.

Brittany Viola narrowly missed making the United States team in 2008 and this time Frank was there to cheer her on, along with a bunch of other family members.

1. raysfan1 - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Congrats on being one of the 2 best American lady divers. Seriously, qualifying for the Olympics is an awesome accomplishment.

• fearlessleader - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Agreed on all points except the use of the phrase “lady divers.”

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM

What should rasfan1 one have said Fearless? She isn’t one of the two best divers. She is one of the two best “female” divers. It is…what it is.
        And for the record…I would most certainly hold the door open for you.
        It’s how I was raised.

• fearlessleader - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Totally fine with “female”! And I’d hold the door open for you too….it’s the polite thing to do. :) Cheers!

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Hahaha! Cheers right back at you. We are good Fearless.
        I thought you were going all Women’s Lib. on him. Hahaha!
        You know, after all…you don’t wear a sign. See…I pay attention.
        Waite…you DID go Women’s Lib. on that ass. So ‘lady” is bad? Serious question.
        Using the word ‘lady’ is bad? I thought lady conveyed respect. No?

• raysfan1 - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Please tell me what is the difference between lady divers and female divers? When did “lady” somehow become condescending?

• fearlessleader - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM

It’s not “offensive” so much as outdated and a bit condescending (which I know you didn’t intend). “Ladies” are traditionally valued for being genteel and refined. Olympic athletes are prized for different attributes. “Female” is a nice value-neutral term without the historical connotations.

A small point. For the most part I was agreeing with you—Brittany is awesome, and while I’m disappointed that she wasn’t at her best in the semis, I admire her journey and I hope she’ll keep at it if she wants to.

• fearlessleader - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM

It’s kind of an interesting ongoing discussion in the sports world: http://athleticbusiness.com/articles/article.aspx?articleid=1589&zoneid=28

• raysfan1 - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Okay. I was only thinking ladies as opposed to gentlemen. With my upbringing, those are the most polite terms.

2. spudatx - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM

That dive from the handstand position is awesome.

3. mybrunoblog - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM

She is young. Some divers compete well not their 30s. See you in Rio De Janeiroi in 2016.

• mybrunoblog - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Man my spelling sucks but you get the point

4. georgewashingtonsghost - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I agree, Spudatx. That was the coolest looking dive I saw during the Olympics this year. Amazing.

5. hushbrother - Aug 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I’m imagining a thick Long Island accent to go with that pretty face.

• Old Gator - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:29 PM

So you think that four years at the University of Miami automatically instillas a Lon Gisland accent? Well, I could se the point. But, she lives in Orlando. Why not imagine that she sounds like Donald Duck instead?

But seriously, she really handled herself with grace and modesty in the wake of her performance. She also said some funny things about her dad’s acrophobia.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto