Aug 10, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Former Cy Young winner Frank Viola’s daughter, Brittany Viola, finished 15th in the 10-meter platform diving semi-finals at the Olympics in London and was eliminated from the competition.
She was in good spirits afterward despite failing to advance:
My mind felt right, my body felt right. It just didn’t come together. Still, to be here was just incredible. I’m going to celebrate this journey. I never thought I’d be here.
Brittany Viola narrowly missed making the United States team in 2008 and this time Frank was there to cheer her on, along with a bunch of other family members.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)