Great Moments in Media Relations

Aug 10, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT

Reds logo small

We’ve all gotten into Twitter arguments in which things have gotten a little out of hand. It happens. It’s just not the best thing to do when you’re in the media relations business for a major league baseball team.  Just ask the assistant media relations guy for the Reds who found himself having to offer a statement that reads like this:

It is with a terrible sense of regret that I come to you tonight to apologize for my embarrssing inability to control my emotions on Twitter and more importantly, my failure to properly represent myself as an employee of the Cincinnati Reds …

Go to Deadspin for the whole story.  And be careful out there, people. The Internet is a dangerous place.  You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

1. danaking - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Every day, in every way, I’m more happy not to be involved with Twitter

• kkolchak - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM

The problem with instantaneous electronic communication is that it creates a permanent record of the stupid things idiots say before they engage their brains.

Of course, with a lot of people even engaging their brains wouldn’t help.

• okwhitefalcon - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Indeed.

It’s not in pencil, it’s in ink.

2. number42is1 - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Empire is def the best of the series but Jedi was pretty damn good as well.. get rid of the Ewoks and its probably the best of the 3.

3. kkolchak - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Wonder if that dude got his job after paying $500 to attend a job fair? Seems like the candidate pool would have been a little deeper.

• bklynbaseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Not everyone who deserves jobs in baseball actually GETS them.

• bklynbaseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Asst. Media Relations Director? He’s probably been there a while.

4. chumthumper - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Not involved with Twitter or Facebook and my life is not lesser for it. Can’t figure out why people feel a need for self-importance, as if the world is waiting breathlessly for their next relevation.

• kopy - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM

It’s a communication tool that’s left entirely up to the user. It makes it easier to correspond with loved ones who are far away, and a great way to stay on top of current events. It’s annoying when some hipster shows everyone a picture of their sushi every night as if we all care, but the tool itself isn’t the problem.

• sportsdrenched.com - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Is it uncouth to post a picture of the craft beer you’re drinking? I’m asking for a freind.

• sportsdrenched.com - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I have tools in my garage becuase I like/have to work on stuff (wood & automotive).

I use FB & Twitter because I have freinds and interests and I use FB & Twitter to facilitate interaction with freinds and other people who share the same interest.

Sometimes mistakes are made with tools. Like the time my table saw sent the plastic gaurd through the garage door. Sometimes a tweet gets sent through the garage door too.

5. natslady - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Who is this guy? Just curious. I read this on another site, and it struck me as sort of sad. I understand that you can’t be thin-skinned on the Tweeter, but sounds like he was actually doing his own tweets and not just having his agent put out cliches.

Bobby Wilson@BW46I’m done with twitter. Try to be fan friendly and all I get is criticism. I wasn’t blessed with 5 tools. I worked hard to get here.

• deepstblu - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:43 PM

He’s the Angels’ backup catcher.

6. bloogart7 - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Jaime Ramsey’s also one of the nicest people in baseball, so I’m glad he didn’t get canned over one regrettable (but frankly understandable) outburst. All Reds fans would’ve been losers. The team loves him, Marty Brennaman gives him good natured grief on nearly every radio broadcast & he’s built a terrific online community at the Better Off Red blog. This is one thing that actually worked out for the good guys.

7. vincentbojackson - Aug 11, 2012 at 9:44 AM

He’s been with the Reds a long time. Amazing he has such poor judgement. I’ve worked for a Division 1 athletic program and a professional sports team for a total of 15 years. The first thing you realize is you don’t ever argue with the fans. It’s pointless. If you want to argue with the fans then buy a ticket and go sit with them.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3179)