Help rename the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees. Vote Fireflies!

Aug 10, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT

Scranton

It was announced some time ago that the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees — the Bombers’ Triple-A team — would be getting a new name. This to coincide with their renovated ballpark and stuff.  As has become the custom over the years, the team let fans come up with names. And … here they are:

- Blast: A tip of the cap to the area’s rich mining history, and the sound of future New York Yankees hitting home runs at the newly renovated PNC Field.

This one will help local newspaper writers come up with punny headlines for years, so it’s got that going for it.

- Black Diamond Bears: Another look back to the mining days, combined with the ferociousness of the black bear.

Actually, black bears are now more widely thought of as being on the timid-end of the bear scale, so maybe not.

- Fireflies: The state insect of Pennsylvania, and a sure sign of summertime in Northeast Pennsylvania.

My favorite. My suggestion for the mascot.

- Porcupines: A “renegade native” of Northeast Pennsylvania that displays the fighting spirit of area residents.

OK, but seems more like an A-ball or independent league kind of mascot. Maybe it would work if the hats were cool.

- RailRiders: A reference to the area’s history on the rails.

Always good when you can invoke the idea of hobos.

- Trolley Frogs: A trolley frog is the mechanical part of a trolley, and Scranton is, after all, the home of the nation’s first electric trolley car.

The “after all” is what kills me. Because of course everyone knows this. That aside, I have this feeling, given the dumb times in which we lived, if I called someone a “trolley frog” there would be some sort of debate of whether I was being racist, so that could be cool.

Oh well. Vote here between now and August 24th.  Not sure if you can write in “Yankees,” but it seems like that is still the best name.

1. cleverbob - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM

How about the Munsons?

2. raysfan1 - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

The Bombers

• mybrunoblog - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I thought of Bombers too. Be a lot of cool logo ideas. Bombers dropping baseballs out of the bomb bay etc.
      Plus Bombers ties in naturally with the parent team. Problem could be that minor league teams seem to change affiliation every 5 or 10 years so they may want to avoid obvious Yankee references.
      I could live with Fireflies. Has a nice minor league feel to it.

3. Josh A. - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Would “Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Black Diamond Bears” officially be the longest team name in history? I think so.

• kopy - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim also has 10 syllables!

• kopy - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Wait, SWBBDB has 9. The answer is no!

4. dawgpoundmember - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM

i vote for the name to be changed to the dundies

• scatterbrian - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Good one. I was also thinking the Beets or the Schrutes.

5. oregoncoastdailynews - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Red Barron’s

• foreverchipper10 - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Ha! They were the Red Barons when they were the Phillies associate, but I am assuming you know that.

• jsidewalk - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Bring back the Grump and let Greg Legg be manager.

6. amhendrick - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Can’t wait until the Trolley Frogs match up against the IronPigs.

7. hansob - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Scranton Stranglers

8. sdelmonte - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:56 PM

You post this on a Firefly/Serenity fansite, and the Browncoats will come out in force, even though the name is a not a salute to the show.

• hoopmatch - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Since you mention Firefly, what about The Scranton/Wilkes Barre Reevers?

9. CJ - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM

they should be called the Mets. Just like the other team not too far away full of players who one day hope to play for the real team in NYC.

10. number42is1 - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM

the sandlots

11. Mr. Furious - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Whatever name they choose, I hope that they remove “Wilkes-Barre” from it. After putting up half of the cost to purchase the franchise ($1MM), Wilkes-Barre did absolutely nothing – financially or otherwise – for it, while Lackawanna County spent tens of millions of dollars. Of course, they came out of the woodwork to get their cut when the franchise was sold to Mandalay, kind of like a deadbeat dad who ignores his kid until he’s about to sign a big contract.

That aside, why can’t they just resurrect the old “Red Barons” name? There’s a lot of goodwill toward it in the area, and it’s a fair sight better than any of these.

• kellyb9 - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Likewise, we could remove Scranton from the Penguin’s name ;-) .

12. foreverchipper10 - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Woo! A local article for me! Anyway, this name change stuff has been going on all summer and to be truthful, I am tired of it. This area is filled with Yankees and Phillies fans. The club used to be the affiliate for the Phils before the Yanks came to town. The people around here who don’t like the Yankees want the name to be changed because “they can’t root for a team with Yankees on their jerseys”. Seriously.l It doesn’t matter WHAT they are called they are still the baby Yanks no matter what it says on the front of the uniform. Anyway, Craig, as you mentioned above with a mascot for the fireflies ANYTHING will be an upgrade over our current, what I like to call, “purple cow with a piece of macaroni and cheese through his head.”

13. ajcardsfan - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Anybody else think RailRiders is a huge sexual innuendo. If I hate the Yankees, this is the name I’m voting for. (I don’t really care, so I’m not taking the time to vote)

14. joshftw - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I’ll vote Fireflies, but only if Nathan Fillion endorses it.

• bravojawja - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

And if Christina Hendricks throws out the first pitch, I’ll buy season tickets.

15. philly8679 - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Trolley Frogs rocks !!!!!

16. ThatGuy - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Beet Farmers

17. Bryz - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Just found out that I’m only 1-2 degrees of separation from the two people that submitted “Trolley Frogs.” Heh.

18. tuftsb - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Scranton Wilkes Barre Manilows

19. bigtunany - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:33 PM

The Dunderheads
    The Scrapplers
    The Hoagies

20. stlouis1baseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM

The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Dunder-Mifflins.

21. joeyt18444 - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:00 PM

“Perogies”

22. JB (the original) - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM

SWB Pierogies.

23. kalinedrive - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Scranton Scrappers. Everyone likes scrappy players. And alliteration.

24. foreverchipper10 - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Word on the street is the fireflies and the trolley frogs are winning. Ugh. If we are going with a fictional animal like the trolley frog why dont we just use….

Now THAT I can get behind.

• cleverbob - Aug 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM

All hail the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Hypnotoads!

25. ottomanismydog - Aug 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM

The Dundies

The Scott’s

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4095)