Aug 10, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
I’m not ready to play yet. I’m moving in the right direction. I’m definitely not sure on a timetable. I’m not doing that to be coy, it’s because I genuinely don’t know which day. I’m making progress.
Votto is close enough to returning that the former MVP has been practicing his sliding, although manager Dusty Baker revealed to Brian Hedger of MLB.com that Votto “was a little sore after sliding and trying to get that muscle memory back.”
Of course, Baker also noted that Votto “needed a little work on his sliding before he hurt it.”
Cincinnati won 16 of 19 games after placing Votto on the disabled list in mid-July, but the Reds have now lost five straight games to shrink their lead in the NL Central down to 2.5 games over the Pirates.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17