John Lackey has beer in the clubhouse, so apparently the Sox have given up

Aug 10, 2012, 9:41 AM EDT

John Lackey Getty Images

Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com believes that the Red Sox have given up and the season is lost.

I don’t know that that’s true. While things seem bleak, the race for the wild card is still tight enough that a week’s worth of good fortune could totally transform things.

But for a moment, let’s pretend that the season is definitively over.  Even if that were the case, can someone tell me how this translates to giving up?

Like John Lackey, who apparently needs to travel with the team and work with trainer Mike Reinold while recovering from Tommy John surgery – a fairly standard rehab that literally thousands of pitchers have come back from stronger-than-ever over the last 30 years. But for whatever reason, the underachieving righty needs to travel with the team even though he won’t be throwing even one measly pitch for them.

Lackey was so busted up after the latest defeat that he was strutting around the clubhouse with a can of Bud Light in each hand, or what is known as “double-fisting” on every college campus in the history of mankind. So much for the Bobby Valentine ban on alcohol in the Sox clubhouse that was implemented during spring training.

1. Bobby V. owns a bar. I go to it on occasion, and they have a lot of really good beer there. In light of that, I’m going to assume that Valentine realizes that Bud Light does not actually qualify as alcohol, so he likely does not consider this to be a violation of the policy.

2. Since when is traveling with the team when you’re injured a sign of a lack of dedication and commitment?  Usually guys get slammed for staying away from the team. This line of attack on Lackey and the Sox totally baffles me.

But hey, it’s the Red Sox. And it’s apparently utterly impossible to see anything that happens with that team in either a positive or at least a neutral light.

1. artisan3m - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM

If I managed the Red Sox, I’d charter two buses ~ one to bring my best 3-A club to Boston and the other to send the entire big league roster down. I really blame Bobby for not taking firm control right out of the gate. A leader can always lighten up but you can never tighten up after losing control. In Boston, no one is really running the team but everybody is running his mouth. No one is in charge; everybody including the players think they are. The Sox are playoff caliber ~ they just need a firm leader to square them away and if owner/front office folks won’t play along, hand them the keys and wish them well in the draft.

• badintent - Aug 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM

The Sox are a playoff caliber team ….. for AAA.As a NY Yankees fan for over 50 years, I can tell you for a fact the Bronx Zoo days of the 80′s have nothing on the current Sox. Billy Martin was a mean drunk , but at least he didn’t allow anyone but himself to drink in the clubhouse during the game.And he was light years better than Valentine in the game department.I hope The Sox continue to play up to their own media backstabbing of them. Hey, Is Paul Revere available for GM ??

2. earlnash - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:09 PM

This pretty much nails Lackey, Beckett and three coaches:

• mkd - Aug 11, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Holy crap that is unreadable.

3. jon623 - Aug 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Seriously? He’s getting ripped for having a beer after the game? Man I love Boston. And by “love Boston,” I meant to say that boston is a freaking joke.

Three legends off to Cooperstown