John Lackey has beer in the clubhouse, so apparently the Sox have given up

Aug 10, 2012, 9:41 AM EDT

John Lackey Getty Images

Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com believes that the Red Sox have given up and the season is lost.

I don’t know that that’s true. While things seem bleak, the race for the wild card is still tight enough that a week’s worth of good fortune could totally transform things.

But for a moment, let’s pretend that the season is definitively over.  Even if that were the case, can someone tell me how this translates to giving up?

Like John Lackey, who apparently needs to travel with the team and work with trainer Mike Reinold while recovering from Tommy John surgery – a fairly standard rehab that literally thousands of pitchers have come back from stronger-than-ever over the last 30 years. But for whatever reason, the underachieving righty needs to travel with the team even though he won’t be throwing even one measly pitch for them.

Lackey was so busted up after the latest defeat that he was strutting around the clubhouse with a can of Bud Light in each hand, or what is known as “double-fisting” on every college campus in the history of mankind. So much for the Bobby Valentine ban on alcohol in the Sox clubhouse that was implemented during spring training.

1. Bobby V. owns a bar. I go to it on occasion, and they have a lot of really good beer there. In light of that, I’m going to assume that Valentine realizes that Bud Light does not actually qualify as alcohol, so he likely does not consider this to be a violation of the policy.

2. Since when is traveling with the team when you’re injured a sign of a lack of dedication and commitment?  Usually guys get slammed for staying away from the team. This line of attack on Lackey and the Sox totally baffles me.

But hey, it’s the Red Sox. And it’s apparently utterly impossible to see anything that happens with that team in either a positive or at least a neutral light.

1. joenash72 - Aug 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM

What if, instead of it being Bud Light, it had been Bud Heavy…

• Cris E - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM

This is like that “What’s heavier, a ton of feathers or a ton of cannonballs?” isn’t it?

Ah, you can’t fool me: 12 oz is 12 oz. Tricksy, they are, these academics from Beantown.

• samu0034 - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM

True, but 12 fluid oz. of water does not weigh the same as 12 fluid oz. of milk (for example). It’s a unit of volume, not mass.

2. taxed00 - Aug 10, 2012 at 9:51 AM

God damnit Lackey at least save the beer for after a win.

• pellypell - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Well, then he might as well quit drinking.

3. southofheaven81 - Aug 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Drinking when not on the job and showing up to support the team while injured. What a bastard.

4. kkolchak - Aug 10, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Jeez, Lackey, you’re playing in Boston and you make tens of millions of dollars. You could at least upgrade to Sam Adams.

• lukejames3 - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM

or be like the old red sox and smoke crack

5. spudatx - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM

What? Didn’t save a hand for some fried chicken to go with?

• pellypell - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Lackey, like my girlfriend, can gobble the meat hands free, all while making eye contact.

6. noahstradamus414 - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I know everybody wants to be a contrarian (especially on these NBC sites), but a guy double-fisting in the face of clubhouse alcohol ban is apparently not something concerning now?

This in a clubhouse where players go to management to complain about the manager. Also, where their agents and confidants shill to Buster Olney how unhappy they are with the manager and how little they respect him.

I mean I’m sure from the corner of snarkville and anti-Red Sox media place the Sox can turn this around with some crazy 15-5 run in the next month. Sorry, anyone paying any attention knows that is not going to happen. Only the people who don’t have a grasp of this team are considering a jump of a half-dozen teams possible.

• sabatimus - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Oh, they’ll need to do MUCH better than 15-5 if they hope to be in this thing. They basically have to pull off a .700 winning percentage the rest of the way, and that ain’t gonna happen.

• tom1954 - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Pardon me, but isn’t 15-5 a .750 winning percentage? Maybe I missed the sarcasm.

• raysfan1 - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Of course, 15-5 is .750, so that would be a pretty good start on going .700 the rest of the way…

7. educatedfools - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I have been a fan of this team since birth. My first game ever was when they retired Yaz’s number in ’88. I have a tattoo of his number 8 on my chest to commemorate the beginning of my love of baseball. This team should be fun to watch. 2 speedy guys at the top of the lineup. A scrapper who also happens to be a former MVP. An exciting power hitting rookie. Fiery pitchers. Even some fun role players stepping up.

The Boston media has made me seriously consider choosing a new team. I can’t handle their takes on every little stupid thing. Let these guys play baseball. They are human and they make mistakes. They suck this year because of injuries and bad pitching, not drama and beer. Leave it alone.

I used to like baseball to be absorbed in all of it. Now all I can do is watch it because everything I read about my team has nothing to do with analysis and everything to do with an article out of TMZ.

• bigleagues - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM

educatedfools,

No disrespect, but get a freakin’ grip!

The Sox are 15-27 in games started by Beckett and Lester this season.

As I commented more extensively down below:

IF the Red Sox got more typical ace-caliber type performances out of Beckett and Lester and were, say, 27-15 in games started them . . . guess what that does to the Sox record?

They would be 67-46, 21 Games over .500 and currently have a 1-game lead on the Yankees with the 2nd best record in the Majors.

BTW, taking it all 1-step further? The Red Sox awful Home record? Beckett and Lester are a combined 4-13 in games they have started at Fenway. FOUR WINS between the two of them!

If Beckett and Lester were a more palatable 10-7 in those 17 decisions, the Sox would be 35-28 at Home and 61-52 overall, 1/2 game ahead of the Orioles and have the WC lead.

That’s a fixable problem and not a ‘fundamentally flawed roster’ as many Boston-media shit-stirrers have floated. It may not get fixed until this off-season, and Beckett’s contract will be a hurdle, but I’m more confident than ever that it will get fixed.

This season is pretty much over. We might as well come to grips with that now. Neither of those two guys are likely to flip a switch and find their top-of-the-rotation groove in time to make a real run.

• 18thstreet - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I WAS AT THE GAME WHEN THEY RETIRED YAZ’S NUMBER!

The rest of you can all go on with your lives.

• bigleagues - Aug 10, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I’m not trying to play one-upsmanship, so I’ll just lay my ace on the table . . . I was at Game 7, 2004 ALCS.

Done.

8. deathmonkey41 - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM

So, he makes all that money signing with the Red Sox and he still drinks the cheapest, crappiest beer one can find? If he goes to a fancy resturant, does he order Old Milwaukee to class it up a bit?

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Point taken Monkey (although I do NOT agree with your opinion on Bud Lite).
      I don’t need to drink an imported beer to feel trendy, hip or somehow more cool.
      With the economy still in the tank, beer prices seemingly rising daily, Bud Select or Bud Lite work just fine. I spend my monies on an import only on special occassions.
      I love Heineken and Samuel Adams. I just don’t like their price tags.
      Those of us still struggling to pull ourselves out of the economic hole realize this and adjust their budgets accordingly.

• Jeremy T - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I’m pretty sure John Lackey has no reason to be “struggling to pull himself out of the economic hole”.

• kopy - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:32 AM

And *gasp* some people like them! Macro beers are macro for a reason. The majority of Americans prefer them. The price is often a factor, but not always. It’s hard to relax on a hot summer’s day with a Dogfish Head.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM

“I’m pretty sure John Lackey has no reason to be “struggling to pull himself out of the economic hole”’.
        Hahaha! Yeah really. I was just sorta’ putting some perspective on things a bit.
        But you are dead on. Lackey can well afford more expensive beer.
        There are a great number of us however, who cannot. At least on a regular basis.

• Alex K - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I don’t think Lackey is hurt much by the struggling economy and/or beer prices. Maybe he just likes cheap beer?

• Alex K - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Wow, I got beaten to the punch.

• sabatimus - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I prefer quality over quantity, if price goes up I’ll just buy less beer and enjoy it more.

• bigleagues - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM

People drink Bud Light to get buzzed or drunk. Read into that as you will.

Also, there is no accounting for taste.

Lackey is oh so lacking in oh so many ways!

• teaspoon1731 - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Lackey isn’t best known for his class.

9. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:10 AM

How about a update on Lackey’s injury? God i cant wait for him to get back into the sox rotation as he was greatly missed this season. And how about an update on Dice K!!! Id love to see him back too

• number42is1 - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM

wait… what happened to Dice-K? i thought he was back already. I am being 100% serious. i do not remember reading anything about him going back on the DL.

• Kevin Gillman - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:28 AM

The guy falls out of bed, and he’s on the 60-day DL.

• number42is1 - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM

i really had no idea

“Daisuke Matsuzaka, who is likely in his last couple of months as a member of the Red Sox, made his second rehab start for Pawtucket. Dice-K, who is recovering from a trapezius strain, surrendered four runs (one earned) on on five hits, while giving up one walk and three strikeouts in three innings pitched. There is no word as to when Dice-K will be ready to rejoin the big club, not that he would have a spot given the success of Felix Doubront, Clay Buchholz and Franklin Morales.”

10. cowboys8819 - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:23 AM

He is from Abilene Texas so he is just staying true to his roots!

• pellypell - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM

What? Does everyone in Abilene divorce their wives while they are in the middle of battling cancer?

11. stlouis1baseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:37 AM

“It’s hard to relax on a hot summer’s day with a Dogfish Head.”
    I am not sure what this even means. Please decipher Kopy.
    And for the record…there is one guy (out of 15) on my Softball team who brings imported beer to our weekly games for the after game festitivites.
    But yes…a lot of people do like micro/macro beers better.
    Just not sure it’s even close to the “majority.”
    Back to the “Dogish Head.” I don’t ‘kopy.’

• Alex K - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Dogfish Head is a brewery in Maryland. They make great beer.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Thanks for clarifing Alex. Personally, as a rule…the lighter the beer…the more I like it.

• Alex K - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:10 AM

In response to your rule: There probably aren’t many beers we both like.

• mgdsquiggy17 - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Actually Dogfish Head is a brewery in Milton, Delaware. They do make good beer (I love the 60, 90 120min and Pumpkin Ale’s)

• Alex K - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I was close enough :) . I always think Maryland because they have a restaurant around Gaithersburg, MD. I love the 60 and 90 minutes, but the 120 minute is too hoppy for me and I love hoppy beer.

• kkolchak - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:52 AM

“Just not sure it’s even close to the majority.”

That’s because the majority are knuckleheads. Cheap beer like Bud is made with rice and corn fillers, which is why it is so cheap. Real beer is made with hops and malts, and that’s IT.

The majority may like McDonalds, too, but that doesn’t mean Filet Mignon isn’t MUCH better than a Big Mac.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I hear you kkolchak. But that isn’t the point. The point is Kopy said the majority of people prefer micro/macro brews. I countered with “just not sure it’s even close to the majority.”
        People on either Coast tend to forget there is a gigantic population of people right in the middle of the Country. Those people drive sales. Because something is popular on the East and West Coast does NOT automatically translate to being popular in middle america.
        Middle American is NOT the fan of micro/macro brews (or imports in general)…when compared to those on either coast.

• Alex K - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:08 AM

You know that you and Kopy are saying the same thing, right? He said most people perfer the Bud/Miller’s of the world.

• mgdsquiggy17 - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:11 PM

” Cheap beer like Bud is made with rice and corn fillers, which is why it is so cheap.”

Not entirely true. Bud is made with Rice and Corn fillers because they were native to the America’s unlike the ingredients they were using in Europe at the time. So when Anheuser-Busch started brewing they had to adapt to what was here and more plentiful. While it is true that corn and rice are cheaper that’s not the whole reason.

12. sabatimus - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I don’t care at all what Lackey does, as long as he doesn’t ever play for this team again. Oh, and by the way, the season IS over, regardless of whether they’re “giving up” or not. And Joe Haggerty and Dan Shaughnessy (whom he links to in that article) are both clowns, with the “utter” clown title going to the obvious one. If you have to ask which one, 1) you don’t follow Boston media, and 2) it’s the one that even LOOKS like a clown.

• pellypell - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I like this guy here.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:53 AM

“Anyone who thinks Bud Lite or Bud ANYTHING is a real beer hasn’t had real beer. Real beer actually TASTES like something.”
      And this is where we disagree Sabatimus.
      I know a great number of people who regularly drink Budweiser, Bud Lite, Bud Select and Bud Lite Platinum.
      I also know a lot of people who love Miller Lite and Coors Lite. Not a fan of either.
      Coors Lite tastes like water to me. If I want water…I drink water.

• raysfan1 - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Loved the reference to “The Quiet Man”

13. realgone2 - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Bud Light tastes like some biker pissed in a glass. I’ll stick with vodka anyway.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I have never tasted biker piss Realgone2. I will have to defer to you on that one. Hahaha!
      I guess I will just say there is a reason Budweiser is routinely referred to as the King of Beers.
      Check Annheiser Busch’s annual sales and compare it to ANY other Brewery.
      You will find Anheuser Busch ranks #1 by a large margin.

• Alex K - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM

That doesn’t mean it is good beer. See the McDonald’s example above.

• lukejames3 - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM

it doesnt have to be good bear busch could shit in cans and still sell bear cause of all the die hard bud fans

• pellypell - Aug 10, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I’m going to trust your comparison on this one.

14. kiwicricket - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Referred to as ‘double parking’ in many parts of the world. Still an infraction, however.
    Bud light??? Dear God. Did he sit down and watch Fox news after that?

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Yes Kiwi…cause’ anyone who drinks Bud Lite is a Fox News junkie.
      Fox news sucks ass. Much like MSNBC, CNN, etc… They ALL have agenda’s.
      Which is another reason I don’t listen to talk radio. They all give me serious anxiety.
      Talking heads, talking heads, talking heads. People need to turn of the remote and think for themselves.

15. bigleagues - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I can’t stand Lackey, who was a bad signing and believed to be the Valentine ‘Middlebrooks dugout comment’ rat but it is a rather bizarre commentary by Joe Haggarty, who btw, is inarguably among the lowest of the Red Sox beat writers on the totem pole of prominence. Thus this seems to me to be an attention grabbing ‘pin the blame somewhere’ type of piece.

Look, yesterday, the Herald’s Michael Silverman brought common sense back to Red Sox bashing.

The stinker thrown out there by Beckett yesterday — season-high eight runs allowed in five-plus innings — and the loss surrendered by Lester on Tuesday night only confirmed what everybody suspected last September but thought would have corrected itself long before now.

But the problems the Red Sox are waking up to in Cleveland this morning are the exact same ones they had on Sept. 28 of last year in Baltimore when they concluded their epic collapse.

That month, over 10 combined starts, Lester went 1-3 and posted a 5.40 ERA and Beckett went 1-3 with a 5.48 ERA.

Four-plus months and 42 combined starts into this season, Lester is 5-10 with a 5.36 ERA and Beckett is at 5-9 with a 4.97 ERA. The Red Sox are 15-27 in games started by Beckett and Lester.

Now I’ll take that to the next logical step, which for some inexplicable reason Silverman did not . . .

Despite all the platitudes about winning and losing as a team, the Red Sox woes begin and end with Lester and Beckett – not Bobby Valentine; not Pedroia’s disappointing season; not the up and down season for Aceves; etc . . . IT’S BECKETT AND LESTER GOING 15-27 – and that’s going all the way back to September 2011. End of story.

• teaspoon1731 - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM

This is sadly something I’ve been saying for months. They started a little rough, they’ve had some ridiculous injuries, but they’ve recovered just fine from them.

Beckett’s struggles are well documented, since everyone seems to hate him anyone. But people don’t talk about Lester’s struggles for some reason. I understand that Lester is much more likable, and it seems horrible to bash on the guy who came back from cancer. I’m a huge Lester fan, but every time I see he’s pitching, I cringe a little and chalk the game up as lost before it starts. Whatever happens in the rest of the season, I hope he finds a way to work out whatever is going on with him.

16. yahmule - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM

The Boston Quitting Alcoholics. Kind of has a nice ring to it.
    ;)

• yahmule - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Okay, not as popular as I expected. How about the Shiftless Alcoholics of Beantown?

17. Glenn - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I’ve heard it explained that the Red Sox banned beer in the home club house, but it is allowed on the road except on the last leg of a road trip. It has to do with players driving (home and return flight) versus on the road where they walk or are transported around.

18. rcali - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I thought Beer in the clubhouse was reserved for guys with ERA’s under 5.00?

• lukejames3 - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM

he’s injured they dont care any more

19. Cyn - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM

It infuriates me that Joe Haggerty has me defending John Lackey today.

A note to the fan since ’88…the media today really isn’t any worse than it was back then, there are just more ways for them to get their message out now. Giving up a team because you don’t like the media makes no sense to me.(Giving up because they play like crap and make you miserable is an entirely different thing.) It’s like drinking Bud Light instead of Sam Adams because even though you love Sam’s you saw someone you don’t like drinking it so you don’t want to be associated with it anymore.

20. 13yrsmlbvet - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM

It is standard practice for players close to returning to game activity to travel not for guys out for the season. As for the beer, guys drink whatever the clubhouse manager provides and based on Budweiser’s deal with MLB every clubhouse is stocked with Bud products. That Bobby V beer ban is a sham.

21. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I won’t believe the season is over until we get photographic evidence of a game of forty hands with some bottles of olde e

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Ole E. Awesome Church. Hell…let’s throw in some Colt 45 as well!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 10, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Ugh Colt 45 is the worst of them. Only thing that can touch it is warm Steel Reserve 211.

22. serbingood - Aug 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Reading all these comments makes me sadder, budweiser for the all the views expressed.

• pellypell - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM

That was really punny.

23. vegagreenleaf - Aug 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Since when is it bad for a guy to have a beer after work? Many people do this regularly. This is not news.

24. sawxalicious - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I think Clubhouse ban on alcohol is stupid…these guys are grown men and it’s not as if they have a real job like a bus driver, fireman, electrician. Etc. that would put themselves or the public at risk with their drinking…I can’t recall any report of a guy getting tanked in the clubhouse and causing a disturbance…knee-jerk reaction to the media. And I try not to make a habit of defending the leisure activities of millionaires, but this is ridiculous.

25. yahmule - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I hope they’re not going to go all kneejerk on this and ban the medical marijuana, too.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4903)