Aug 10, 2012, 8:49 PM EST
UPDATE: Check that, Machado just went deep again. He clubbed a three-run shot in the bottom of the sixth inning that chased Hochevar from the ballgame. Here’s the video.
Per Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, the 20-year-old is now the youngest player in Orioles history to have a multi-homer game. Goodness.
8:43 PM: It hasn’t taken long for Manny Machado to make an impact in Baltimore.
After going 2-for-4 with a triple and a run scored in his major league debut last night, Machado hit his first career home run tonight against the Royals. The 20-year-old turned on a pitch from right-hander Luke Hochevar in the bottom of the fifth inning and deposited it over the left field fence. The solo shot put the Orioles in front 3-1.
You can watch the video of the home run here. Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun passes along word that Machado is the youngest Oriole to homer since Hall of Fame right-hander Jim Palmer did it on May 16, 1965 vs. the Yankees at the age of 19. How crazy is that?
We’ll likely see some growing pains in the days ahead, but the rookie has already made the surprising Orioles more interesting.
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 32
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 78
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 129
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 22
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (132)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)