Aug 10, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: Check that, Machado just went deep again. He clubbed a three-run shot in the bottom of the sixth inning that chased Hochevar from the ballgame. Here’s the video.
Per Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, the 20-year-old is now the youngest player in Orioles history to have a multi-homer game. Goodness.
8:43 PM: It hasn’t taken long for Manny Machado to make an impact in Baltimore.
After going 2-for-4 with a triple and a run scored in his major league debut last night, Machado hit his first career home run tonight against the Royals. The 20-year-old turned on a pitch from right-hander Luke Hochevar in the bottom of the fifth inning and deposited it over the left field fence. The solo shot put the Orioles in front 3-1.
You can watch the video of the home run here. Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun passes along word that Machado is the youngest Oriole to homer since Hall of Fame right-hander Jim Palmer did it on May 16, 1965 vs. the Yankees at the age of 19. How crazy is that?
We’ll likely see some growing pains in the days ahead, but the rookie has already made the surprising Orioles more interesting.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (182)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)