Aug 10, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: Check that, Machado just went deep again. He clubbed a three-run shot in the bottom of the sixth inning that chased Hochevar from the ballgame. Here’s the video.
Per Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, the 20-year-old is now the youngest player in Orioles history to have a multi-homer game. Goodness.
8:43 PM: It hasn’t taken long for Manny Machado to make an impact in Baltimore.
After going 2-for-4 with a triple and a run scored in his major league debut last night, Machado hit his first career home run tonight against the Royals. The 20-year-old turned on a pitch from right-hander Luke Hochevar in the bottom of the fifth inning and deposited it over the left field fence. The solo shot put the Orioles in front 3-1.
You can watch the video of the home run here. Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun passes along word that Machado is the youngest Oriole to homer since Hall of Fame right-hander Jim Palmer did it on May 16, 1965 vs. the Yankees at the age of 19. How crazy is that?
We’ll likely see some growing pains in the days ahead, but the rookie has already made the surprising Orioles more interesting.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)