Aug 10, 2012, 6:09 PM EDT
No major leaguer has gone directly from playing to managing since Pete Rose was doing double duty for the Reds in the 1980s. Omar Vizquel hopes to change that, though; he wants the chance to interview for managerial openings this winter.
“I want to manage now,” Vizquel told FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi.
The fact that both Mike Matheny and Robin Ventura have both had very successful first years on the bench without any real coaching experience can’t hurt the 45-year-old Vizquel’s chances of landing a job right away.
The Astros are the one team everyone expects to target a new manager this winter, and they could take a look at Vizquel. Cleveland, though, is the really interesting possibility. The Indians have tried to shut down rumors that they’ll be looking to replace Manny Acta, but Vizquel still has plenty of fans there. Vizquel spent 11 years in Cleveland, making three All-Star teams and winning eight Gold Gloves for a franchise that hasn’t seen nearly as much success since he departed. For a team looking to put more fannies in the seats (without spending a lot of money in the process), his arrival could add some excitement next spring.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)