Aug 10, 2012, 6:09 PM EDT
No major leaguer has gone directly from playing to managing since Pete Rose was doing double duty for the Reds in the 1980s. Omar Vizquel hopes to change that, though; he wants the chance to interview for managerial openings this winter.
“I want to manage now,” Vizquel told FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi.
The fact that both Mike Matheny and Robin Ventura have both had very successful first years on the bench without any real coaching experience can’t hurt the 45-year-old Vizquel’s chances of landing a job right away.
The Astros are the one team everyone expects to target a new manager this winter, and they could take a look at Vizquel. Cleveland, though, is the really interesting possibility. The Indians have tried to shut down rumors that they’ll be looking to replace Manny Acta, but Vizquel still has plenty of fans there. Vizquel spent 11 years in Cleveland, making three All-Star teams and winning eight Gold Gloves for a franchise that hasn’t seen nearly as much success since he departed. For a team looking to put more fannies in the seats (without spending a lot of money in the process), his arrival could add some excitement next spring.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 42
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 92
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)