Aug 10, 2012, 6:09 PM EDT
No major leaguer has gone directly from playing to managing since Pete Rose was doing double duty for the Reds in the 1980s. Omar Vizquel hopes to change that, though; he wants the chance to interview for managerial openings this winter.
“I want to manage now,” Vizquel told FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi.
The fact that both Mike Matheny and Robin Ventura have both had very successful first years on the bench without any real coaching experience can’t hurt the 45-year-old Vizquel’s chances of landing a job right away.
The Astros are the one team everyone expects to target a new manager this winter, and they could take a look at Vizquel. Cleveland, though, is the really interesting possibility. The Indians have tried to shut down rumors that they’ll be looking to replace Manny Acta, but Vizquel still has plenty of fans there. Vizquel spent 11 years in Cleveland, making three All-Star teams and winning eight Gold Gloves for a franchise that hasn’t seen nearly as much success since he departed. For a team looking to put more fannies in the seats (without spending a lot of money in the process), his arrival could add some excitement next spring.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 0
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)