Aug 10, 2012, 7:29 PM EST
The White Sox will have to get by without one of their best hitters for a little while, as Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports that the White Sox have placed Paul Konerko on the seven-day disabled list with a concussion.
Konerko suffered the concussion Tuesday night when he was elbowed in the head by Royals outfielder Jarrod Dyson during a play at first base. While the veteran first baseman will be eligible to return as soon as next Friday, he’ll have to be cleared by MLB first.
Konerko, 36, is batting .318/.388/.504 with 18 home runs, 54 RBI and an .892 OPS in 101 games played this season. Adam Dunn figures to handle first base duties for now while Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com speculates that Dan Johnson could be called up from the minors to take Konerko’s place on the active roster. Johnson, who played with the Rays last season, is hitting .266/.396/.505 with 25 homers and a .901 OPS in 117 games with Triple-A Charlotte this year.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 76
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 42
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 24
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)