Aug 10, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
The White Sox will have to get by without one of their best hitters for a little while, as Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports that the White Sox have placed Paul Konerko on the seven-day disabled list with a concussion.
Konerko suffered the concussion Tuesday night when he was elbowed in the head by Royals outfielder Jarrod Dyson during a play at first base. While the veteran first baseman will be eligible to return as soon as next Friday, he’ll have to be cleared by MLB first.
Konerko, 36, is batting .318/.388/.504 with 18 home runs, 54 RBI and an .892 OPS in 101 games played this season. Adam Dunn figures to handle first base duties for now while Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com speculates that Dan Johnson could be called up from the minors to take Konerko’s place on the active roster. Johnson, who played with the Rays last season, is hitting .266/.396/.505 with 25 homers and a .901 OPS in 117 games with Triple-A Charlotte this year.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 11
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 204
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (206)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)