Aug 10, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT
The White Sox will have to get by without one of their best hitters for a little while, as Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports that the White Sox have placed Paul Konerko on the seven-day disabled list with a concussion.
Konerko suffered the concussion Tuesday night when he was elbowed in the head by Royals outfielder Jarrod Dyson during a play at first base. While the veteran first baseman will be eligible to return as soon as next Friday, he’ll have to be cleared by MLB first.
Konerko, 36, is batting .318/.388/.504 with 18 home runs, 54 RBI and an .892 OPS in 101 games played this season. Adam Dunn figures to handle first base duties for now while Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com speculates that Dan Johnson could be called up from the minors to take Konerko’s place on the active roster. Johnson, who played with the Rays last season, is hitting .266/.396/.505 with 25 homers and a .901 OPS in 117 games with Triple-A Charlotte this year.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 298
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (299)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)