Aug 10, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Getting a job in baseball is hard. Really hard. There is a line of super smart, highly-credentialed young men and women who would kill to work in sports. The teams and leagues know this, so the competition is fierce an the pay is low for entry level positions. Oh, and the hours are totally bonkers.
It’s one thing to be selective with your potential hires — hey, you gotta be if you want to run a top flight organization — but it’s another thing altogether to taunt them. As Deadspin reports, the San Diego Padres learned that recently when they sent an email to a woman, inviting her to pay $500 to come to a job fair after they had already rejected her application many times over.
She didn’t much like that, and after (a) telling the Padres to commit a sexual act upon her that is impossible for specific anatomical reasons; and (b) outlining her experience and qualifications once again, she wrote:
And given all that, I chose to apply with the Padres, at least 30 times since moving to San Diego. Persevering through countless anonymous email rejections, I continued to submit my resume despite never even being granted the courtesy of a face-to-face interview. All for the joy of making $30K a year. Maybe you’re right. Maybe I’m not the best fit for your company. But here’s a nice fit, my foot in your ass.
All the best,
Guessing that won’t get her a job with the Padres. But as Deadspin notes, some other sports teams around the country are taking a shine to this young woman’s moxie.
Not the way I’d go about things, but it probably beats plunking down $500 for a job fair.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 1
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 87
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (87)