Aug 10, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Getting a job in baseball is hard. Really hard. There is a line of super smart, highly-credentialed young men and women who would kill to work in sports. The teams and leagues know this, so the competition is fierce an the pay is low for entry level positions. Oh, and the hours are totally bonkers.
It’s one thing to be selective with your potential hires — hey, you gotta be if you want to run a top flight organization — but it’s another thing altogether to taunt them. As Deadspin reports, the San Diego Padres learned that recently when they sent an email to a woman, inviting her to pay $500 to come to a job fair after they had already rejected her application many times over.
She didn’t much like that, and after (a) telling the Padres to commit a sexual act upon her that is impossible for specific anatomical reasons; and (b) outlining her experience and qualifications once again, she wrote:
And given all that, I chose to apply with the Padres, at least 30 times since moving to San Diego. Persevering through countless anonymous email rejections, I continued to submit my resume despite never even being granted the courtesy of a face-to-face interview. All for the joy of making $30K a year. Maybe you’re right. Maybe I’m not the best fit for your company. But here’s a nice fit, my foot in your ass.
All the best,
Guessing that won’t get her a job with the Padres. But as Deadspin notes, some other sports teams around the country are taking a shine to this young woman’s moxie.
Not the way I’d go about things, but it probably beats plunking down $500 for a job fair.
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)