Aug 10, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
According to Dennis Manoloff of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, Indians head trainer Lonnie Soloff said this afternoon that Hafner is dealing with a bulging disk in his back. He is currently taking anti-inflammatory medication and was given an epidural injection today.
Hafner believes he’ll need a few weeks of treatment before his status for the rest of the season is decided, but he may have already taken his last at-bat as a member of the Indians. “Pronk” is in the final year of a four-year, $47 million contract which includes a $13 million option for 2013 or a $2.75 million buyout. Injuries have limited the 35-year-old to just 423 games since the start of the 2008 season, so he’ll almost certainly have to look for a new deal in free agency.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 0
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 20
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)