Aug 10, 2012, 8:15 PM EDT
According to Dennis Manoloff of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, Indians head trainer Lonnie Soloff said this afternoon that Hafner is dealing with a bulging disk in his back. He is currently taking anti-inflammatory medication and was given an epidural injection today.
Hafner believes he’ll need a few weeks of treatment before his status for the rest of the season is decided, but he may have already taken his last at-bat as a member of the Indians. “Pronk” is in the final year of a four-year, $47 million contract which includes a $13 million option for 2013 or a $2.75 million buyout. Injuries have limited the 35-year-old to just 423 games since the start of the 2008 season, so he’ll almost certainly have to look for a new deal in free agency.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)