Would you rather: Gold medal or baseball?

Aug 10, 2012, 1:18 PM EST

would you rather

I asked this on Twitter a few minutes ago and was sort of fascinated by the strong yet far from unanimous opinions, so I’m curious to hear what HBT nation thinks:

Would you rather be the gold medal winner in a relatively obscure Olympic sport or the 200th-best baseball player in MLB?

For me the answer is definitely the 200th-best baseball player–which is basically the seventh-best player on an average team–because that guy is most likely making millions of dollars per year for multiple years and … well, baseball is pretty great as far as sports go.

I asked Calcaterra and he agreed: “200th-best baseball player. No question.” And yet plenty of replies on Twitter felt strongly about preferring the gold medal.

What say you?

1. hisgirlgotburrelled - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:34 PM

A few million dollars playing a game as your job, or a gold medal and the right to say “Oh yeah? Well I won a fking gold medal”?… Tough, but I’d take baseball.

2. bigleagues - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM

200th best player.

That is, unless I won the Gold in swimming – guys those dudes get all the chicks.

3. bravesneednewcoaches - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I think what you meant to say was “male swimmers get all the GUYS”, just as Greg Lugainis(sp)!

• qcubed3 - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Oh, that’s just brilliant! Your comment was both a gay joke and factually inaccurate at the same time! You may want to look up what sport Louganis actually competed in . . .

4. stlouis1baseball - Aug 10, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Easily the 200th best baseball player. But this being HBT and all…it’s an easy answer.

5. bravesneednewcoaches - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Oh, we all know what sport he played in, like hide the salami, how to fit it all in a speedo, and also that game you played with him!

• Reflex - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Jealous?

6. Reflex - Aug 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Baseball for me. No question. Even if it was old school having to have a job in the offseason level of pay. Even if I was only the emergency third catcher or LOOGY. Its the only sport I’ve ever truly enjoyed playing competitively, the only one I ever bother watching, and the only one I follow any news on.

Yeah, if I could play it at a professional level, I’d take it in a heartbeat over anything else. If I could make a living at it, all the better, but its not really required.

7. jerseyshoregiant - Aug 10, 2012 at 6:16 PM

200th best baseball player easy!!! Without a doubt. Think about it. The 200th best baseball player means you could actually start! Take the pitcher out of the equation and there are 8 positions and 30 teams.

1. F. Rodriguez (2589)