Aug 10, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
I asked this on Twitter a few minutes ago and was sort of fascinated by the strong yet far from unanimous opinions, so I’m curious to hear what HBT nation thinks:
Would you rather be the gold medal winner in a relatively obscure Olympic sport or the 200th-best baseball player in MLB?
For me the answer is definitely the 200th-best baseball player–which is basically the seventh-best player on an average team–because that guy is most likely making millions of dollars per year for multiple years and … well, baseball is pretty great as far as sports go.
I asked Calcaterra and he agreed: “200th-best baseball player. No question.” And yet plenty of replies on Twitter felt strongly about preferring the gold medal.
What say you?
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)