Aug 11, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Sabathia will be placed on the disabled list.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Carig that Sabathia initially felt stiffness in the elbow in his first start back from a groin injury on July 17, but an MRI came back clean. The stiffness went away, but he felt something in the elbow again after his last start on Tuesday.
The move is retroactive to Thursday, so he’ll be eligible to return on August 23. Girardi continues to say that his level of concern is “pretty low,” so it appears the Yankees are just playing things safe here. Still, it’s tough not to be concerned if you’re a Bombers fan.
1:03 PM: Here’s a potentially troubling development for the first-place Yankees.
Sabathia threw his regular bullpen session on Friday, but he could be scratched from Monday’s scheduled start against the Rangers if symptoms persist.
“Right now, it’s a low-level concern,” the source said. “Long-term, it’s not a big concern.”
Sabathia gave up five runs (three earned) over 6 2/3 innings Wednesday against the Tigers and holds a 3.56 ERA through 20 starts this season. No pitcher has thrown more innings than Sabathia since the start of the 2003 season. Only Mark Buehrle has logged more innings since Sabathia made his major league debut in 2001. The Yankees are downplaying the situation right now, but you can bet they are hoping the miles on his arm aren’t catching up with him.
Apr 25, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
Albers suffered a compression fracture of a finger on his throwing hand during Thursday’s brawl.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
The Rangers will reportedly only be responsible for less than $7 million of Hamilton’s remaining contract.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:58 PM EDT
Anthony Rendon suffered a sprained MCL in his left knee in early March, but he’s finally close to joining the Nationals.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT
Surgery will likely cost him 4-6 weeks.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
TJ House will start in his place against Detroit.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Six players were suspended for Thursday’s benches-clearing brawl between the White Sox and Royals. Yordano Ventura got the longest suspension with seven games.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:01 PM EDT
Nelson Cruz just keeps on mashing for the Mariners.
Apr 25, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Five players were ejected after Thursday’s benches-clearing brawl between the White Sox and Royals, but there was also some drama behind the scenes.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
Could a trip to the disabled list be in Yasiel Puig’s future?
Apr 25, 2015, 9:38 AM EDT
Check out a double-dose of defensive excellence from Rockies third baseman Nolan Arenado.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:49 AM EDT
A quick recap of a busy Friday night around MLB, including another promising outing from Carlos Martinez.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:35 PM EDT
The Dodgers made a couple of moves to make room for reliever Sergio Santos, called up on Friday.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Hisashi Iwakuma is dealing with a strained right lat muscle.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
The Mets have lost for the first time since April 11.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
Michael Saunders should be activated from the disabled list by the Blue Jays on Saturday.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez is starting on Friday night against the Angels.
Apr 24, 2015, 7:27 PM EDT
Hamilton’s return to Texas is the best-case scenario
Apr 24, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Mets reliever Bobby Parnell won’t throw for a week as he experienced forearm tightness during his Tommy John rehab.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:55 PM EDT
The Angels and Josh Hamilton are reportedly parting ways.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:09 PM EDT
Bonus of Tommy John rehab: more time to study for your naturalization test.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 25
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 56
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)