Aug 11, 2012, 11:47 AM EDT
David Ortiz was aiming to return from the disabled list for Sunday’s series finale against the Indians, but it’s increasingly likely that he won’t be ready.
Progress has been slow since Ortiz received a pain-killing injection in his ailing right heel on Monday. The veteran slugger was scheduled to go through agility drills and run the bases before last night’s game, but Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine told Tim Britton of the Providence Journal that he rested instead.
Ortiz is expected to ramp up running activities again today, but when asked specifically whether he thinks he’ll be back Sunday, Valentine said, “I don’t think so.”
Ortiz hasn’t played since straining his right Achilles tendon while running the bases on July 16. The 36-year-old is hitting .316/.414/.609 with 23 home runs, 58 RBI and a 1.024 OPS in 89 games played this season. He told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe yesterday that he’s resigned to playing through pain for the rest of the year.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 79
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful