Aug 11, 2012, 4:21 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Street is going on the disabled list with a left calf strain. The Padres are calling up right-hander Cory Burns to take his spot on the active roster.
10:39 PM: Huston Street‘s dominant season took an unfortunate turn last night against the Pirates, as he suffered a left calf injury while notching his 21st save.
Street pulled up lame while trying to cover first base on the final play of the ballgame. He immediately came up limping and had to helped off the field by a team trainer and a teammate.
The Padres’ closer will be re-evaluated Saturday, but manager Bud Black told George Von Benko of MLB.com that the injury will likely require a stint on the disabled list.
“We got some ice on it,” manager Bud Black said. “We don’t know the significance of it. As always, we’ll see how it sets up overnight. But my early premonition is that it’s going to put him out for a while. Hopefully I’m wrong.”
Street has an excellent 0.75 ERA and 45/8 K/BB ratio over 36 innings this season and is a perfect 21-for-21 in save chances. The Padres chose to sign him to a two-year, $14 million extension last month rather than deal him before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
Black told Chris Jenkins of the San Diego Union-Tribune that right-hander Dale Thayer could fill in at closer if Street requires an extended absence. Thayer thrived in the role earlier this season while Street was on the disabled list with a right lat strain. Luke Gregerson could also be elevated from his current set-up role or the Padres could employ a closer-by-committee approach.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)