Aug 11, 2012, 4:21 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Street is going on the disabled list with a left calf strain. The Padres are calling up right-hander Cory Burns to take his spot on the active roster.
10:39 PM: Huston Street‘s dominant season took an unfortunate turn last night against the Pirates, as he suffered a left calf injury while notching his 21st save.
Street pulled up lame while trying to cover first base on the final play of the ballgame. He immediately came up limping and had to helped off the field by a team trainer and a teammate.
The Padres’ closer will be re-evaluated Saturday, but manager Bud Black told George Von Benko of MLB.com that the injury will likely require a stint on the disabled list.
“We got some ice on it,” manager Bud Black said. “We don’t know the significance of it. As always, we’ll see how it sets up overnight. But my early premonition is that it’s going to put him out for a while. Hopefully I’m wrong.”
Street has an excellent 0.75 ERA and 45/8 K/BB ratio over 36 innings this season and is a perfect 21-for-21 in save chances. The Padres chose to sign him to a two-year, $14 million extension last month rather than deal him before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
Black told Chris Jenkins of the San Diego Union-Tribune that right-hander Dale Thayer could fill in at closer if Street requires an extended absence. Thayer thrived in the role earlier this season while Street was on the disabled list with a right lat strain. Luke Gregerson could also be elevated from his current set-up role or the Padres could employ a closer-by-committee approach.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)