Aug 11, 2012, 4:21 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Street is going on the disabled list with a left calf strain. The Padres are calling up right-hander Cory Burns to take his spot on the active roster.
10:39 PM: Huston Street‘s dominant season took an unfortunate turn last night against the Pirates, as he suffered a left calf injury while notching his 21st save.
Street pulled up lame while trying to cover first base on the final play of the ballgame. He immediately came up limping and had to helped off the field by a team trainer and a teammate.
The Padres’ closer will be re-evaluated Saturday, but manager Bud Black told George Von Benko of MLB.com that the injury will likely require a stint on the disabled list.
“We got some ice on it,” manager Bud Black said. “We don’t know the significance of it. As always, we’ll see how it sets up overnight. But my early premonition is that it’s going to put him out for a while. Hopefully I’m wrong.”
Street has an excellent 0.75 ERA and 45/8 K/BB ratio over 36 innings this season and is a perfect 21-for-21 in save chances. The Padres chose to sign him to a two-year, $14 million extension last month rather than deal him before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.
Black told Chris Jenkins of the San Diego Union-Tribune that right-hander Dale Thayer could fill in at closer if Street requires an extended absence. Thayer thrived in the role earlier this season while Street was on the disabled list with a right lat strain. Luke Gregerson could also be elevated from his current set-up role or the Padres could employ a closer-by-committee approach.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)