Aug 11, 2012, 2:48 PM EST
The Reds were originally hoping that Joey Votto would only have to miss three to four weeks following surgery on July 17 to repair a torn medial meniscus in his left knee, but that won’t be the case.
According to Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer, returned to Cincinnati last night and had a “minor procedure” to have a piece of floating cartilage removed from his knee. He’ll need another 7-10 days of recovery time, which could put him at risk for missing all of August.
Votto experienced some soreness in the knee during sliding drills as recently as Thursday and told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he wasn’t “ready to play yet.” The floating cartilage was found after he was sent for an MRI.
Votto, 28, is batting .342/.465/.604 with 14 home runs, 49 RBI and a 1.069 OPS in 86 games played this season. The Reds managed a 10-game winning streak during his absence, but dropped five in a row before yesterday’s win over the Cubs. They enter today’s action at 67-46, 3 1/2 games in front of the Pirates in the National League Central.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)