Aug 11, 2012, 7:19 PM EDT
Rangers catcher Mike Napoli has registered an underwhelming .223/.343/.429 batting line with 17 home runs and 40 RBI through his first 359 plate appearances this season. And now he’s hurt.
Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reports that Napoli was placed on the 15-day disabled list Saturday because of a painful left quadriceps strain. He tried to play through the discomfort after initially suffering the injury earlier this week, but that didn’t quite work out.
Luis Martinez was recalled from Triple-A Round Rock in a corresponding roster move to serve as Geovany Soto‘s backup over the next few weeks. Napoli, who hit .320/.414/.631 with 30 home runs and 75 RBI in 432 plate appearances last season, should be back in action before the end of August.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 9
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 5
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit