Aug 11, 2012, 7:19 PM EDT
Rangers catcher Mike Napoli has registered an underwhelming .223/.343/.429 batting line with 17 home runs and 40 RBI through his first 359 plate appearances this season. And now he’s hurt.
Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reports that Napoli was placed on the 15-day disabled list Saturday because of a painful left quadriceps strain. He tried to play through the discomfort after initially suffering the injury earlier this week, but that didn’t quite work out.
Luis Martinez was recalled from Triple-A Round Rock in a corresponding roster move to serve as Geovany Soto‘s backup over the next few weeks. Napoli, who hit .320/.414/.631 with 30 home runs and 75 RBI in 432 plate appearances last season, should be back in action before the end of August.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)