Aug 11, 2012, 7:19 PM EDT
Rangers catcher Mike Napoli has registered an underwhelming .223/.343/.429 batting line with 17 home runs and 40 RBI through his first 359 plate appearances this season. And now he’s hurt.
Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reports that Napoli was placed on the 15-day disabled list Saturday because of a painful left quadriceps strain. He tried to play through the discomfort after initially suffering the injury earlier this week, but that didn’t quite work out.
Luis Martinez was recalled from Triple-A Round Rock in a corresponding roster move to serve as Geovany Soto‘s backup over the next few weeks. Napoli, who hit .320/.414/.631 with 30 home runs and 75 RBI in 432 plate appearances last season, should be back in action before the end of August.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17