Aug 11, 2012, 7:19 PM EST
Rangers catcher Mike Napoli has registered an underwhelming .223/.343/.429 batting line with 17 home runs and 40 RBI through his first 359 plate appearances this season. And now he’s hurt.
Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reports that Napoli was placed on the 15-day disabled list Saturday because of a painful left quadriceps strain. He tried to play through the discomfort after initially suffering the injury earlier this week, but that didn’t quite work out.
Luis Martinez was recalled from Triple-A Round Rock in a corresponding roster move to serve as Geovany Soto‘s backup over the next few weeks. Napoli, who hit .320/.414/.631 with 30 home runs and 75 RBI in 432 plate appearances last season, should be back in action before the end of August.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 74
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)