Aug 11, 2012, 7:19 PM EST
Rangers catcher Mike Napoli has registered an underwhelming .223/.343/.429 batting line with 17 home runs and 40 RBI through his first 359 plate appearances this season. And now he’s hurt.
Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reports that Napoli was placed on the 15-day disabled list Saturday because of a painful left quadriceps strain. He tried to play through the discomfort after initially suffering the injury earlier this week, but that didn’t quite work out.
Luis Martinez was recalled from Triple-A Round Rock in a corresponding roster move to serve as Geovany Soto‘s backup over the next few weeks. Napoli, who hit .320/.414/.631 with 30 home runs and 75 RBI in 432 plate appearances last season, should be back in action before the end of August.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)