Tommy Hanson to make rehab start Sunday at Triple-A, will rejoin the Braves afterward

Aug 11, 2012, 10:04 PM EDT

tommy hanson getty Getty Images

Braves righty Tommy Hanson is just about ready.

According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the 25-year-old is scheduled to make a minor league rehab start on Sunday at Triple-A Gwinnett and will be activated from the disabled list five days later if all goes according to plan.

Hanson, who has been on the shelf since July 31 with a lower back strain, uttered an obscenity at Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez when the topic of a minor league start was broached. But the Bravos have a solid five-man rotation mix at the moment and want to play it safe with their injury-prone youngster.

“I’m not in a good mood,” Hanson told reporters Saturday.

He has a 4.29 ERA and a 114/54 K/BB ratio in 126 innings this season.

1. kmgannon - Aug 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM

“Tommy Hanson to make rehab start Sunday at Triple-A, will rejoin Indians after”

Thought he played for the Braves…remember Cleveland is the Native-American-named team with the more offensive mascot.

[I'm a Cleveland fan, but Wahoo has to go]

• kmgannon - Aug 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM

And you fixed the headline even before my comment posted, making my lame joke all the lamer.

• bigleagues - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Unless you are like me and get every HBT headline and synopsis sent to your email . . . then that headline is preserved in perpetuity.

My head was spinning when I read it. Thought there was some whacked out waiver deal I missed in the two hours I was away from my computer.

2. realgone2 - Aug 12, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Sorry Hanson, maybe if you weren’t walking 7 batters a game and letting everyone and their grandmother steal off you then you’d be put back in the rotation quicker. Fredi better not put Meds back in the pen.

• foreverchipper10 - Aug 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I have a strong feeling that is who will be booted once Tommy is back.

3. nekotman - Aug 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Put his butt in the pen! He’s not starter material right now. Cursing the manager is just a sign of ego and immaturity. I’d like to see him traded after the season.

1. H. Pence (2117)