Aug 11, 2012, 12:53 AM EDT
Clay Buchholz tossed a two-hitter tonight as part of a 3-2 win over the Indians, but the Red Sox were dealt another tough blow on the injury front in the process.
Will Middlebrooks left the game in the top of the ninth inning after being hit in the right wrist by a pitch. The Red Sox have yet to make an official announcement on his status, but Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe was told by a source that Middlebrooks was diagnosed with a broken wrist. If true, his rookie season will almost certainly be over.
Middlebrooks, 23, is batting .281/.325/.509 with 15 home runs, 54 RBI and an .835 OPS in 75 games played this season. His emergence caused the Red Sox to deal Kevin Youkilis to the White Sox for peanuts in late June. Danny Valencia, who was acquired from the Twins last Sunday, is expected to be called up from Triple-A Pawtucket on Saturday and figures to get most of the playing time at third base moving forward.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 1
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)