Yankees sign veteran right-hander Derek Lowe

Aug 11, 2012, 6:33 PM EDT

derek lowe ap AP

It took Derek Lowe one day to find a new home.

According to beat writer Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, the Yankees have acquired the free agent right-hander, who was released by the Indians on Friday afternoon after posting a 5.52 ERA, 1.69 WHIP and 41/45 K/BB ratio across 119 innings.

Lowe has agreed to pitch out of the bullpen in New York, though he could be in line for a spot start at some point soon depending on how swiftly left-hander CC Sabathia can recover from his recent elbow issues.

Carig says the Yankees’ decision-makers “still believe that Lowe generates enough grounders to be effective.”

1. pisano - Aug 11, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Oh dear God no!!!

2. bigharold - Aug 11, 2012 at 6:41 PM

WTF???

3. garryfish - Aug 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Is he starting Monday???

• scafeets - Aug 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM

No..Phelps starts Monday.

4. onlyincleveland0316 - Aug 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Will they sign DL Hafner and DL Sizemore too?

5. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Probably bring Warren up for a spot start on Monday, with Lowe going in long relief if the kid runs into problems like he did against the ChiSox.

6. yankeesfanlen - Aug 11, 2012 at 7:06 PM

John Sterling’s Hebrew Home in Riverdale is no longer accepting applications. Capacity has been reached.

• bigharold - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Leave John Sterling alone!

7. cackalackyank - Aug 11, 2012 at 7:13 PM

*Sigh* Kinda saw this one coming after the CC DL thing. Stranger things have happened.

8. mianfr - Aug 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Ah, yes, the inevitable return of Derek “Past a Diving” Jeter is going to come sooner than I had planned.

9. jolink653 - Aug 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Ughh I had a feeling this would happen

10. rockthered1286 - Aug 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

As an O’s fan I thank you Yankees.

• kkolchak - Aug 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I’ll laugh my ass off if he pitches against the O’s and shuts them out…and I absolutely HATE the Yankees.

11. Glenn - Aug 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM

So much for those free drinks for life in Boston. Don’t be surprised if he actually earns his keep for the Yanks.

12. jayscarpa - Aug 12, 2012 at 3:20 AM

I could see it (barely) if they were going to use him as a starter but out of the pen? Don’t they have anyone in Scranton that can hitters out?

13. willclarkgameface - Aug 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I love this. I hope Derek pitches against the Red Sox later this year and officially puts the nail in the Under .500 coffin for those dopes.

• sabatimus - Aug 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM

What are you talking about? The coffin’s already six feet under. Most Red Sox fans already know this.

14. Kevin Gillman - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM

For some reason, I find Derek Lowe could do very well for the Yankees, like Kerry Wood did for them, after Cleveland traded him. The key is Derek will feel he has something to prove, and for the first month and a half, he had that attitude for the Indians, going 6-1, with a 2.03 ERA. We’ll see though.

• allzeroes - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Yeah, we’ll see. You would think he would have been motivated after performing terribly for Atlanta the past few years, then getting dumped, with Atlanta picking up 10 mil of his salary for this year, to pitch for someone else. You would figure he would have been motivated to show Atlanta they made a mistake, but he just couldn’t stop sucking long enough to do so.

I actually think the bullpen makes more sense for him, he can concentrate on throwing his sinker more and not worry about mixing his other crappy pitches in. Then again, I can also see him having an ERA of 36.52 after 3 innings of work also.

• Kevin Gillman - Aug 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I truly was happy when the Indians picked up Derek, simply because of IP, but now I regret it. April was great, but everything caught up with him after that.

All the trade deadline news to know