Aug 11, 2012, 6:33 PM EST
It took Derek Lowe one day to find a new home.
According to beat writer Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, the Yankees have acquired the free agent right-hander, who was released by the Indians on Friday afternoon after posting a 5.52 ERA, 1.69 WHIP and 41/45 K/BB ratio across 119 innings.
Lowe has agreed to pitch out of the bullpen in New York, though he could be in line for a spot start at some point soon depending on how swiftly left-hander CC Sabathia can recover from his recent elbow issues.
Carig says the Yankees’ decision-makers “still believe that Lowe generates enough grounders to be effective.”
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 322
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (320)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)