Aug 12, 2012, 5:11 PM EDT
In the seventh inning Sunday of the game between the White Sox and A’s, Alexei Ramirez hit a grounder to short with Pierzynski on first and none out. Third baseman Adam Rosales and shortstop Cliff Pennington came together on the play, but a major collision was avoided and Pennington still managed to throw out Ramirez at first.
What happened afterwards was pure Little League. Pierzynski noticed no one was covering third and took the base. And then he noticed no one was covering home after catcher Derek Norris followed the play to first base. First baseman Chris Carter had his head down and didn’t see it until too late, and though he tried to race Pierzynski to the plate, Pierzynski had too much of a head start.
While there was plenty of blame to be spread around on the play, the majority of it needs to go to pitcher Evan Scribner, who was just standing around by the mound instead of backing up one of the bases. Norris, too, probably should have been able to make his way back home in the time that Pierzynski was advancing two bases. It was just a mess all around.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 103
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 152
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (164)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (152)