Aug 12, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
From beat writer Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post comes word that Marlins second baseman Emilio Bonifacio is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment Wednesday night with the High-A Jupiter Hammerheads and could be back in the major leagues next Sunday if all goes well.
Bonifacio has been on the 15-day disabled list since the first week of August with a sprained left thumb.
The 27-year-old was batting .261/.335/.321 with one home run and 30 steals in 264 plate appearances.
Miami enters play this afternoon with a 52-62 record — 19 games back of the Nationals in the NL East.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 4
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (103)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)