Aug 12, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
From beat writer Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post comes word that Marlins second baseman Emilio Bonifacio is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment Wednesday night with the High-A Jupiter Hammerheads and could be back in the major leagues next Sunday if all goes well.
Bonifacio has been on the 15-day disabled list since the first week of August with a sprained left thumb.
The 27-year-old was batting .261/.335/.321 with one home run and 30 steals in 264 plate appearances.
Miami enters play this afternoon with a 52-62 record — 19 games back of the Nationals in the NL East.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)