Aug 12, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
From beat writer Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post comes word that Marlins second baseman Emilio Bonifacio is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment Wednesday night with the High-A Jupiter Hammerheads and could be back in the major leagues next Sunday if all goes well.
Bonifacio has been on the 15-day disabled list since the first week of August with a sprained left thumb.
The 27-year-old was batting .261/.335/.321 with one home run and 30 steals in 264 plate appearances.
Miami enters play this afternoon with a 52-62 record — 19 games back of the Nationals in the NL East.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1