Aug 12, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
From beat writer Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post comes word that Marlins second baseman Emilio Bonifacio is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment Wednesday night with the High-A Jupiter Hammerheads and could be back in the major leagues next Sunday if all goes well.
Bonifacio has been on the 15-day disabled list since the first week of August with a sprained left thumb.
The 27-year-old was batting .261/.335/.321 with one home run and 30 steals in 264 plate appearances.
Miami enters play this afternoon with a 52-62 record — 19 games back of the Nationals in the NL East.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 19
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)