Aug 12, 2012, 7:45 PM EST
Mariners center fielder Franklin Gutierrez can’t seem to catch a break. He has appeared in only 13 major-league games this year because of heel and head injuries, and it’s suddenly looking like he won’t make it back from his most recent disabled list stint before the conclusion of the 2012 regular season.
According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, Gutierrez “had further headache flareups” Saturday and has been scratched from a rehab assignment that was scheduled to get underway this afternoon.
The 29-year-old Venezuelan suffered a concussion over six weeks ago when he was hit in the head by a pickoff throw at first base. He was cleared to resume baseball activities in late July but is now experiencing another wave of post-concussion symptoms.
Gutierrez, a defensive whiz, is a .256/.308/.383 career hitter in the big leagues. Seattle manager Eric Wedge suggested to reporters on Sunday that Guti could play winter ball to make up for his lost 2012.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)