Aug 12, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT
While right-hander Jacob Turner, the biggest piece the Marlins received from the Tigers in last month’s Anibal Sanchez-Omar Infante deal, continues to toil in the minors, the Marlins announced Sunday that they’re going to give his batterymate, Rob Brantly, an opportunity starting Tuesday.
Buck, in the middle year of a three-year, $18 million contract, is hitting just .186/.302/.325 with eight homers and 30 RBI in 274 at-bats this season. He figures to play mostly against lefties for now, with the lefty-swinging Brantly getting an opportunity against righties.
Brantly, 23, has hit .298/.340/.412 with five homers and 41 RBI in 362 at-bats between Double- and Triple-A this year. He’s been on fire since the trade, batting .365/.389/.558 with two homers in 52 at-bats for Triple-A New Orleans. While he’ll probably never contend for Gold Gloves or turn into a legitimate middle-of-the-order guy, he could become an average starting catcher in time. At the very least, his decent left-handed bat should lead to a long career as a backup.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)