Aug 12, 2012, 10:40 AM EST
Angels phenom Mike Trout is an American League MVP candidate primarily because of his gaudy offensive numbers, but he’s also been a standout defensively since his arrival near the end of April.
The 21-year-old made another spectacular play on Saturday night in Anaheim, robbing his third home run of the season with a perfectly-timed leap at the center field wall to rob the Mariners’ Miguel Olivo of a would-be home run. MLB.com has the highlight.
It’s the third homer Trout has robbed this year. No major league outfielder robbed three homers in 2011.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 48
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 38
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 52
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)