And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Aug 13, 2012, 5:30 AM EDT

Rajai Davis

Blue Jays 10, Yankees 7: Holy frijole, did you see Rajai Davis’ catch, robbing Casey McGehee of a home run in the seventh? The guy is like 5”9″ and the wall is like ten feet and he went Spud Webb on that bad boy. Or Spiderman. Or something. Just wow. Otherwise, the Jays beat the tar out of Phil Hughes. Oh, and Davis led the charge there too, doubling in five runs. That was on two different doubles, though. Because you really can’t drive in five runs on one double. That would create some sort of divide-by-zero error or something.

Phillies 8, Cardinals 7: These are weird times for me. I had to root for the Phillies here because the Braves need the Cardinals (or the Dodgers or Pirates or whoever) to lose more to give them a more comfortable wild card cushion. Meanwhile I’m going to Washington on Friday where I’ll be watching the Mets-Nationals game. I have no frickin’ idea what to do there. I want the Nats to start losing because of the NL East race but I can’t, on general principle, root for the Mets. Oh, Jimmy Rollins Juan Pierre won it with an RBI single in the 11th.

Dodgers 5, Marlins 0: Chris Capuano? More like Chris Capuwonderful!  Oh, God. I’m so sorry. I don’t know what came over me. 8 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 10K.

Diamondbacks 7, Nationals 4: Wow, the Nats finally lost. It had been eight straight wins. Patrick Corbin gave up two runs, struck out seven and didn’t walk anyone. Unusual stuff on the bases: In the first, Bryce Harper reached first on an overthrown ball but couldn’t advance to second because he collided with the umpire. Then he was picked off. In the second, Paul Goldschmidt reached on an error, taking second on the play. Then stole third. Then scored when Kurt Suzuki threw the ball away.

Mariners 4, Angels 1: Wow, Jered Weaver finally lost. It had been nine straight wins. Jesus Montero homered twice. And while Weaver didn’t pitch too poorly overall — he was saved from giving up a homer to Miquel Olivo by a Mike Trout leaping catch — Jason Vargas outpitched him. Overall, actually, Vargas has outpitched Weaver since the beginning of July.

Giants 9, Rockies 6: The Giants jumped out to a 3-0 lead, blew it, fell behind 6-4 by the seventh and then put up five runs in the eighth, capped by Hunter Pence‘s tie-breaking and game-winning three-run homer. Folks at AT&T Park got their money’s worth.

Rangers 8, Tigers 3: Josh Hamilton had three hits including a homer and three RBI. That helped make up for another shaky Yu Darvish performance. Sure, he only allowed three runs, but he walked five. In other news, no one in this game looked as good as anyone in Saturday night’s game. Dear God, look at how awesome those uniforms are.

Reds 3, Cubs 0: Johny Cueto stays in the NL Cy Young conversation (8 IP, 3 H, 0 ER). he wouldn’t be my pick if the season ended today, but he’s having an outstanding year.

Brewers 5, Astros 3: It’s not often that someone beating the Astros on the last day of a series prevents a sweep, but it applies to the Brewers. In fact, Milwaukee had lost 11 straight road games — a streak stretching back before the All-Star break. Yovani Gallardo gets the win. He has won 10 straight decisions against Houston. This being the Brewers, of course, nothing is easy and the game ended with Houston threatening.

Rays 7, Twins 3: Someone with some time on their hands: find out what year saw the most games with extra inning games ending with the road team winning by four runs or more. It seems like it’s happened a bunch this year. It’s as if bullpens all over the league just decided “Eh, who needs a long game? Let’s end this thing definitively.” By the way, the Rays are 6-0 since Evan Longoria came back. They’ve passed the Orioles, are five back of the Yankees and are at the top of the wild card standings.

Pirates 11, Padres 5: I’m not sure what’s more unlikely: Jason Marquis two-hit shutout on Saturday night or Clint Barmes grand slam yesterday. This series was run by space aliens who are conducting experiments on us or something.

White Sox 7, Athletics 3: I guess Chris Sale got his wind back thanks to that long rest a couple of starts ago. He struck out 11 here and didn’t walk any in six and two-thirds.

Orioles 5, Royals 3: Manny Machado homered again (in case you missed it he homered twice on Friday night). In the two games he hasn’t homered in he’s tripled and hit an RBI double. As far as hope-for-the-future goes, this kinda tops Rocky Coppinger for O’s fans. By a fair amount.

Red Sox 14, Indians 1: Boston beat Cleveland so hard their kids are gonna come out shaking. Jon Lester finally wins a game, striking out 12 in six innings.

Mets 6, Braves 5: The Mets bullpen made it interesting in the ninth, allowing four runs, but they managed to not totally screw up Jon Niese‘s nice night (8 IP, 6 H, 1 ER). Ben Sheets reminded us that, no, a guy with a rebuilt everything can’t be counted on to pitch like an ace for half a season.

1. lucasatkin - Aug 13, 2012 at 5:40 AM

Juan Pierre actually had the Phillies’ winning RBI single, Rollins scored the run.

• bravojawja - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM

And thank you for not going all ESPN on us and calling it a “walk-off infield single.” What’s next, a “walk-off balk”?

2. proudlycanadian - Aug 13, 2012 at 5:43 AM

That was the catch of the year. In that game, Toronto had to start 6 players who had been called up from the minors. The other 3 were Davis, E E and Mathis. Both Davis and Encarnacion had big days at the plate. It helped that Hughes pitched like Phyllis rather than Phil.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM

According to MLB.com, the catch was a big topic on Twitter last night.

• cur68 - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Rajai’s got a Westjet commercial contract just waiting for him right there. When I saw that play it was hard to miss the sign on the wall and he framed it perfectly. I’m finding it pretty hard to revel in one good play, though. Its been a brutal season with injuries.

You cited, PC, that there were 3 starters who hadn’t been callups. When one of those starters is your back-up catcher because your power hitting starting catcher has a broken hand, do you really get to count him? I know: yes you do, but it sure doesn’t feel like you should. I mentally lump Mathis in with the group I think of as “the AAA guys & Omar Vizquel”. Mathis has been trying to iron out his swing and a new approach. He needs the off season to get it grooved up and to learn what he can reach with it and what he can’t. Meantime, it looks like our boys will need to score a ton of runs to keep winning. Unfortunately not everyone is Phill Hughes…more’s the pity.

• nbjays - Aug 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I was at that game and was amazed by that catch… I love how Rajai hesitates just a bit to time his jump. And his 5 RBI were great too, as were Moises Sierra’s 3 hits…but my vote for Blue Jays player of the game is Derek Jeter. Twice he misplayed a ball with 2 outs, which extended the innings and led to 5 Beaver runs. We had a loud-mouthed Yankee fan (is that redundant?) to the left of us who was celebrating Jeter’s home run… until we reminded him that Jeter was still minus-4…. one scored and 5 allowed.

• cur68 - Aug 15, 2012 at 1:19 AM

@nbjays; Classic. You win the thread.

3. crankyfrankie - Aug 13, 2012 at 6:20 AM

You’ll really enjoy Nationals park. The statues in center field are interesting just use public transit as parking is crazy expensive.

• DJ MC - Aug 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM

From a non-Nationals fan who lives close enough to occasionally appear at the park…

- Yes, take the Metro. DC has a fantastic subway system and it works very well for Nationals games.

- The statues are…odd. If you haven’t seen them before, I won’t spoil it, but be ready.

- The food isn’t particularly special. They have a Shack Shack, but it’s packed. The rest is fine, but seems to be even more overpriced than usual.

It’s a nice park, but not very memorable. Since the way it was built offers no view of Washington itself outside of a couple upper corners, all you are focused on is the game (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but most ballparks offer some skyline to admire). It comes off as utilitarian, and not in a good way.

• natslady - Aug 13, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Agree. The park is fine, but not outstanding architecturally. You can walk along the concourses and see the river and the hills, and from one corner you can see the Capitol. They’re better this year about vendors not running out of food, but they still do… So if you want ballpark food, get it before the 3rd inning.

• natslady - Aug 13, 2012 at 3:18 PM

And if it’s hot and a day game, sit on the third base side. The sun on the first base side will kill you.

4. jagsfan11 - Aug 13, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Go Rays!

• indaburg - Aug 13, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Hellz yeah!

I fully expect the Rays to win every game of the rest of the year now that Longoria is back. :-)

5. gmsalpha - Aug 13, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Not sure how I feel about the Rangers uniforms, bro. They look like a cartoon to me.

• 4d3fect - Aug 13, 2012 at 8:00 AM

This. I was trying to recall which forgettable mid-’70s cartoon series it reminded me of.

• professormaddog31 - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I half expect the Mystery Machine to make an appearance in Arlington now.

6. jarathen - Aug 13, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Ugh. The Angels are in freefall. How a team with Trout, Pujols, Weaver, Haren, Greinke, and CJ Wilson is this bad of late is just stunning.

7. kiwicricket - Aug 13, 2012 at 7:30 AM

***Interesting, but utterly useless fact follows:
    The actual concept of ‘zero’ first came about in India, where it was used as an actual number, even in division.

• stex52 - Aug 13, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Not only that, but the Europeans were slow and late to get on board. The Greeks couldn’t quite buy into it because of the philosophical problems with “nothing being something.” When it finally came in, it was as part of the “Arabic” numeral system, and religious scholars still distrusted it. Go figure…………..

• kiwicricket - Aug 13, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Sanskrit is a no no

• Old Gator - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:29 AM

You mean sanskritisanono, don’t you?

8. brewcrewfan54 - Aug 13, 2012 at 7:33 AM

It was nice catch but I think catch of the year is a bit of a stretch.

• Old Gator - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM

No, it really was the catch of the year. Consider that in addition to being an elf, Rajai had to jump from last place to just above the fence in first place to make that catch. Come on now – could you do that?

9. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 13, 2012 at 7:38 AM

What a weird yet exciting game at CBP yesterday. Got to think the Phillies will bring back Kratz to back up Ruiz next season. Has a good bat and rocked of an arm. Also, I think it is time to bring back ‘Cepts. I believe he will stick to baseball and behave himself. Sure some of his baseball opinions are odd but I think he will stick only to discussing baseball without any xenophobic or insulting rants. Hell, if he acts like a clown you can ban me too for suggesting the idea.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 13, 2012 at 8:28 AM

For some reason, you just made me want to dust off my “Free Urbina” t-shirt.

• Alex K - Aug 13, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I don’t think it’s a good idea to let him back. He’s had multiple chances and it hasn’t worked yet. Why do something when we know it’s going to end badly?

• kiwicricket - Aug 13, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Let Cept’s back at the end of the regular season, so he can enjoy the playoffs?

• snowbirdgothic - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:07 AM

“Let’s bring back ‘cepts, I’m sure he’ll stick to baseball this time” is one of those phrases like “Gosh, what a cute little velociraptor” or “You, in the red shirt – the captain wants you in the transporter room” or “It’s making a rattling noise with its tail – I think it likes me!” that never, ever ends well.

• Old Gator - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

You left out “It’s okay, I’m immune to poison ivy, see?”

• snowbirdgothic - Aug 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I actually knew someone who was immune to poison ivy. Until they suddenly weren’t.

• Old Gator - Aug 13, 2012 at 1:22 PM

We all knew someone like that. Invariably, he was the bigest asshole in camp.

• snowbirdgothic - Aug 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM

This guy found out he wasn’t any more by using those shiny leaves as TP on a camping trip. I applaud your prescience in phrasing.

10. yankeesfanlen - Aug 13, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Indeed, I’ve never been one to overly complain by the Universe’s penchant for bringing in “veteran” players, or even “mature” players. However, Ichiro? Derek Lowe? In 2012? They make Eric Chavez look like Bryce Harper, for corn’s sake.
    And nice lineup work IBM Joe. Chavez has been hitting .370 over the last dozen games and we put in Janis Joplin’s friend at third. Okay, he did have a 3-run homer the other day, but still…..
    Beep-beep hits a homer and has 150 hits for 17 consecutive years. Where will I find enough roses to fill the Rose Bowl?

• proudlycanadian - Aug 13, 2012 at 7:49 AM

LOL! Leave Ichiro alone!

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:23 AM

More concerning than picking up some aging pitcher that really can’t hurt the team in any way is how Phil Hughes has been completely disintegrating in games.

11. ravensallday2012 - Aug 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Machadoooooo

• paperlions - Aug 13, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I take everything I said back.

Machado is awesome and totally ready for MLB, the Orioles totally know what they are doing, and the Orioles will overtake the Yankees to win the AL East.

• kiwicricket - Aug 13, 2012 at 9:59 AM

You will have to indicate somewhere if this is indeed sarcasm. We all know you don’t have a sense of humor, PL.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:25 AM

So, then you also agree that Hensley Muelens is one of the finest pure power hitters in baseball history and is one heck of a hitting coach?

• paperlions - Aug 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I don’t know who Hensley Muelens is…..but if you say so, sure, I’ll agree with that.

12. chill1184 - Aug 13, 2012 at 9:37 AM

F-ing bullpen

13. pw38 - Aug 13, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Did we watch the same Rangers game? Yu didn’t dominate but his game was hardly “shaky”. He has a walks issue but his command really wasn’t that bad and he made his pitches when he needed to. What was more important was seeing Josh hit the ball like he’s capable of. I’m also starting to think that maybe that comeback win over the Angels was some sort of a turning point. At least for the Rangers. Can’t wait to see the Yankees series now.

14. whodeytn - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Somebody please test Encarnacion for PEDs

15. girardisbraces - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Does anyone else think Darvish is Dice-K Redux?

16. Old Gator - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM

The Feesh may or may not have showed up for last night’s game. The Iron Giant sits for day games after night games to let his recently repaired knee heal up, which didn’t help much, but Wade LeBlanc peetched pretty well yet again, going six and allowing one run. With Anibal Sanchez gone, someone has to fill the niche for no run support. Then Heath Bell trundled out to the mound and threw batting practice for a third of an inning, coughing up four runs. I know this from the morning papers. I was busy waiting with baited breath for the reanimated Spice Girls to come on and trivialize the Olympics to its thickly commodified end.

Speaking of thickly commodified, I am reprinting by special request the following commentary from my “Settling the Score” post from yesterday:

By the way, much enjoyed Romney sinking his chances of carrying Florida, alienating our burgeoning population of duffers with his selection of that grackle-faced clown Ryan for VP-wannabe. First of all, Ryan pisses them off with his attacks on social security and medicare. Second, seniors hate grackles – they bully the pigeons and steal their breadcrumbs. And as we all know, in politics image is everything. If Romney wanted an ugly running mate who wouldn’t turn off the codger vote, he could have tabbed Kevin Youkilis. But, on the other hand, rich white American males finally have a choice!

• APBA Guy - Aug 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Nicely done, it is Monday, but 10:43 am is too late. The readers have moved on. I bet you can post that last paragraph at 7:00 am tomorrow and maybe 1 or 2 will realize it’s the same one from Sunday.

• yankeesfanlen - Aug 13, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I will

• kiwicricket - Aug 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Please don’t paste stories about Mitt. It’s late at night for me, I will get nightmares.

17. phaseetious - Aug 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Rocky Coppinger!

• DJ MC - Aug 13, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Any day with a Rocky Coppinger reference is a good day in my book. He’s one of those, “One day you’ll look back and laugh” guys, amazed that he actually was a top prospect and started playoff games for the Orioles.

Now someone needs to find out where Jose Mercedes went and my day will be complete.

18. APBA Guy - Aug 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I have very little to say about yesterday’s A’s game, except to point out that the fire drill play (when AJP scored by taking undefended 3rd and home) was as much as anything a factor of guys playing out of position (Rosales) and being new to the Big Leagues (everybody else.) The A’s have been playing “scrappy”, which is also an emotional attribute. The White Sox played professionally, and even without Konerko, were spanking them and El Capitan, who’d been so good his last few starts. The A’s were down mentally, and it showed on that play, which started with Rosales trying to hard and getting out of position, and then not recovering, while Scribner watched and Carter went drifty. Not good, but the coaching staff will refocus everybody before their game with KC tomorrow. One last point, how good was Chris Sale? His backdoor slider to right handers was a frisbee. My nephew went to a baseball camp two summers ago at Sale’s alma mater, Florida Gulf Coast U in Ft. Myers. The baseball operation there was all about Chris Sale. I can see why.

• Old Gator - Aug 13, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Reports trickling out of Fort Myers indicate that the campus has been overrun by monitor lizards.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5457)