Aug 13, 2012, 11:38 PM EST
Sanchez gave up five runs and 12 hits in 5 1/3 innings Monday to take a loss to the Twins. He was hit in the leg by a comebacker in the first inning, but that didn’t seem to have a lasting impact. Sanchez is 1-3 with a 7.97 ERA since arriving from Miami last month. His lone win in the span came against an Indians team that was on its way to losing 11 games in a row.
Sanchez has been eaten alive by the BABIP gods in his four starts for the Tigers, allowing 35 hits in 20 1/3 innings of work. That’s not to say it’s all singles and doubles doing him in, though; he’s given up five homers. His strikeout rate is also well down, with a 13/8 K/BB ratio to date. He had a 110/33 K/BB ratio in 121 innings for the Marlins.
Perhaps Sanchez has simply been too amped since the trade. He averaged 91.3 mph with his fastball for Miami this year, but he jumped to 92.5 mph in his first three starts for the Tigers. That’d seem to be a good thing under normal circumstances, but he’s also throwing his slider and changeup harder, which might mean they’re not breaking as much as usual.
At least it suggests that his arm is sound, which should mean that Sanchez will turn it around soon. With a nice finish, he’d head into the winter regarded as the No. 2 or No. 3 free agent starter available behind Zack Greinke, putting him in position to land a big contract.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)