Aug 13, 2012, 8:57 AM EST
One post this morning and we already have our comment of the day. In response to my concerns over the Nats seemingly being willing to let Stephen Strasburg miss the playoffs, jea1978 says “don’t worry, it’s all good, bro”
I am a Nats fan, season ticket holder since ’07, and I 100% agree with this. Besides losing LaRoche, E Jax, and maybe decreased production from Werth, we will be the same team for the next three years at least. We will win multiple world series, as long as don’t do something stupid and blow out Stras’ arm.
The 1986 Mets, 1995 Braves, 2008 Phillies and a zillion other awesome-on-paper teams say “hi.”
I’m not saying the Nats future isn’t bright. Of course it is. But dynasties in baseball are the exception, not the rule. No matter how good your team looks, guys get injured. Other teams get better. Can’t-miss stars occasionally miss. Your star right fielder and phenom starter get addicted to cocaine. Baseball history is littered with would-be dynasties with nothing to show for all of their promise.
Maybe the Nats do win “multiple World Series.” But you gotta win one first. And preemptively shutting down your otherwise healthy ace when you look like the best team in the National League seems a funny way to go about doing that.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)