Daron Sutton: still suspended by the Diamondbacks

Aug 13, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT

daron sutton and mark grace

File this under “Things We Forgot About Since the All-Star Break and the Olympics and Other Things That Have Since Diverted Our Attention”:  Diamondbacks announcer Daron Sutton is still suspended.

You’ll recall that he was suspended back in June for, as far as we know anyway, bucking the team’s broadcast booth dress code. He wanted to wear suits. They wanted him in a FSN Arizona polo.  Obviously there has to be more to it than just that given the length of this suspension, however.

Via Awful Announcing, here’s the statement from team president Derrick Hall:

“Daron of course, I hired him, I extended him, he’s a very important part of our history and who we are. It’s been a culmination of events and unfortunately, I wish I could talk more about it, but when it comes to personnel issues, I don’t think it would be fair for him or us if we talked anymore than to say there’s no timetable on a return. It’s an indefinite suspension. But we’re fortunate to have guys like Greg Schulte and Jeff Munn that can step in and fill roles in the meantime,” said Hall.

All I can think is that Sutton was on double secret probation when the suit/polo flap happened and he’s paying for many, many past missteps, real or perceived by management.

1. ajcardsfan - Aug 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM

He should put a horse in Hall’s office

2. brewcrewfan54 - Aug 13, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Makes me wonder if it was more than just money as to why Milwaukee didnt try to keep him a few years back. Either way I don’t miss him.

• mattyflex - Aug 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

He’s got to be better than Rex Hudler… Kansas City welcomes him with open arms.

• kander013 - Aug 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM

We’ll give you Dick and Bert for Brian Anderson in a heartbeat. You can keep Telly Hughes though.

• brewcrewfan54 - Aug 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Nah, I’ll stick with BA and Schroeder. They’ve grown on me over the years. I like Telly also, not sure why a lot of people don’t care for him. I don’t think bert and Dick are that bad either then again I only get to hear them during those 2 interleague series every year so my sample size is small.

3. ndnut - Aug 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM

No, we are keeping Dick and Bert. End of discussion.

4. bla bla bla - Aug 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I was glad to see Sutton leave the Brewers, and I hope BA stays on for a good long time. Unfortunately for us, I think BA will land a National gig sooner rather than later.

5. beefytrout - Aug 13, 2012 at 5:53 PM

They are not holding the microphone properly.

6. IdahoMariner - Aug 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM

this bugs me every time you use this photo, and I know I should know this and I can just go look it up…but which one is Sutton? apparently it doesn’t bug me enough to go look it up… but just enough for me to rant unneccessarily.

carry on.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Aug 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM

The one who wasn’t an incredible contact hitter for the Cubs and Diamondbacks from 1988-2003.

I hate to be that snarky guy, but you gotta know Gracie!

• willclarkgameface - Aug 13, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Jesus Christ, please tell me you know even just a LITTLE bit of Cubs history here and that you know who the hell Mark Grace is. For the love of God, what is happening?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• 18thstreet - Aug 14, 2012 at 10:13 AM

True story: When Mark Grace was playing, he wore a uniform that said “GRACE” on the back. It was a lot easier to recognize him back then, whereas today he wears a suit. Or a Diamondbacks polo shirt.

• professormaddog31 - Aug 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM

please tell me you’re trolling the board right now. How can you not know Mark Freaking Grace???

• frank433 - Aug 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Mark who?

• dsmaxsucks - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I actually read your question and it seems you are asking which one is Sutton, not who’s the guy next to Sutton. So here’s your answer. Sutton’s the one next to Mark Grace.

• IdahoMariner - Aug 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Actually, I didn’t mean to offend Cubs fans, but while I know who Mark Grace is, I don’t really know him by sight, and certainly not more than ten years after he retired and while he’s wearing a suit. I am an American-League fan who has never had cable, so yeah, not much exposure to what Mark Grace LOOKS like, at any point of his career and/or retirement. Especially since a big chunk of his prominence occurred while I was in law school and the five years after, when I was working ridiculous hours, so I didn’t get to keep up with much more than the Mariners (which was also barely, given my workload). I certainly didn’t mean to offend Cubs fans.

But that was a pretty strong reaction given that you had to assume I knew what he LOOKED like in order to get that fired up that I (according to your assumption) didn’t know that he’s awesome. Which I actually do know, mostly from my compulsive baseball-READING habits, and now, this freaking picture and these comments have narrowed it down to one of the two guys in the picture. There was an awesome SI article on him a few years back so I have vague recollection of him from teh accompanying pics, but really? I gotta remember what every awesome mid-height, mid-weight, light-brown-haired baseball player looks like, then account for the effects of aging? mannnnnnn. I wouldn’t get offended if someone didn’t recognize, I don’t know, Dan Wilson, or John Olerud, or Edgar…heck, even Ichiro. I would probably start to wonder if you didn’t know who Jr. was on sight, but that is largely due to the insane amount of exposure he got. Even no-cable me saw all those nike ads…

• cur68 - Aug 14, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Wowie, Mariner. You ran into a real collection of prize humans here, didn’t ya? Well, Grace is the one with the facial hair and yellow tie. Aside from that what we have here is two middle aged, tanned, athletic looking, square jawed, slightly grey short haired, white guys. In fact, if I hadn’t googled Grace, I wouldn’t have been able to tell them apart because, aside from height, they look remarkably similar.

Some people really let the worst parts of their personalities run away with them on the internet, y’know?

Say fellas, honest question: If you wouldn’t treat the lady like that to her face, why is it suddenly ok to do it on the internet?

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Yeah…what Cur said. Of course…he thinks all white people look alike.
        All joking aside…well stated Cur.

• IdahoMariner - Aug 14, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Thanks, Cur. A class act, as usual — one of the reasons I love this site. :)

And thanks stlouis, too! I didn’t mean to start a kerfuffle, so the backup is nice.

also, now i know which one is sutton, without having to interrupt my baseball reading to go look it up before I get back to work, and which knowledge will come in handy since, until he goes back to work or gets actually fired, this photo is in my future.

7. muir6 - Aug 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM

It’s incredible that you hear nothing bout this the media is the real blue wall, they never report on their own. There had to be something to this that’s more interesting then team

8. mybrunoblog - Aug 13, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Did he sleep with Dean Wormer’s wife or something?

9. lew24 - Aug 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Its got to be either sexual harassment or substance abuse.

10. dadawg77 - Aug 13, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Maybe he followed his booth mate and spelt with a players wife/girlfriend.

• raysfan1 - Aug 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Karma = making a hilariously funny typo when trying to post a classless innuendo.

Obviously you meant slept and not spelt.

“Hey, Babe, is it i before e except after c?”

The sound you hear is me laughing at you.

• bigleagues - Aug 14, 2012 at 6:30 AM

While I’m not deriding your punch at weak opportunistic humor . . .

Karma in the simplest of terms = getting back what you put out. A reaction to an action.

What dadawg77 did was, as you described it, post a classless innuendo, and made a typo in the process of doing so. That’s NOT Karma in and of itself.

In other words . . .

In Sutton’s case:

The cause is his obstinate behavior towards his employer.

The effect is he has been suspended.

In dadawg77’s case:

The cause is his/her making an obtuse comment.

The effect is a negative reflection on dadawg77.

in raysfan1’s case:

The cause is twisting an philosophical/spiritual term to mean something which it does not in an attempt to humiliate someone else.

The effect is looking just as obtuse as the person who you sought to humiliate.

11. hoopmatch - Aug 13, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Maybe he refused to release the last ten years of his income tax returns.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 14, 2012 at 10:13 AM

You got it Hoop!
      The topper (which ultimately got him suspended)…he refused to provide his Birth Certificate.

12. jolink653 - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:49 PM

How about we take Sutton off your hands and we trade you Suzyn Waldman to replace him? We take the disgruntled guy and you can have Suzyn and all her babbling…AND THERE’S RAWGER CLEMENS IS IN GEORGE STEINBRENNERS BAWX

13. adcoop22 - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Right now there is an Joe Gargiola in the booth that talks nonstop about the “old days” and how much better everything was back then. I know he is well-respected, but good grief, I can hardly stand to listen when Gracie is out. Seriously, I could just listen to one long fart and it would be better than hearing him go on-and-on.

14. dcbear90 - Aug 13, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Lighten up Francis.

15. tjg25 - Aug 13, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Why would anyone care who Mark Grace is?

16. bigleagues - Aug 14, 2012 at 4:34 AM

When news of this first broke I wanted to defend Sutton, I really did. I do like him on the broadcasts.

But when I found out, the linchpin of his friction with the team is that he insists on wearing a suit during broadcasts . . . uhm, well . . . I mean, how full of yourself do you have to be oppose your boss on wearing a sport shirt in favor of a monkey suit – to the detriment of possibly losing your job?!

Dipstick.

17. mrzonk - Aug 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I miss Sutt and Gracie has been gone this week, so this LONG…..road trip has been painful to watch. Gonzo seems to be getting better but Schulte is so boring, I fall asleep in the first inning. I’ve heard it from one insider all along, that Sutt entered rehab for drinking. This might explain why nothing has been said or can be said. The season is almost over so I have a feeling they’re going to brush all of it under the carpet. I just wonder if both of them are coming back when we get home.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3657)