Aug 13, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
File this under “Things We Forgot About Since the All-Star Break and the Olympics and Other Things That Have Since Diverted Our Attention”: Diamondbacks announcer Daron Sutton is still suspended.
You’ll recall that he was suspended back in June for, as far as we know anyway, bucking the team’s broadcast booth dress code. He wanted to wear suits. They wanted him in a FSN Arizona polo. Obviously there has to be more to it than just that given the length of this suspension, however.
Via Awful Announcing, here’s the statement from team president Derrick Hall:
“Daron of course, I hired him, I extended him, he’s a very important part of our history and who we are. It’s been a culmination of events and unfortunately, I wish I could talk more about it, but when it comes to personnel issues, I don’t think it would be fair for him or us if we talked anymore than to say there’s no timetable on a return. It’s an indefinite suspension. But we’re fortunate to have guys like Greg Schulte and Jeff Munn that can step in and fill roles in the meantime,” said Hall.
All I can think is that Sutton was on double secret probation when the suit/polo flap happened and he’s paying for many, many past missteps, real or perceived by management.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)