Aug 13, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
File this under “Things We Forgot About Since the All-Star Break and the Olympics and Other Things That Have Since Diverted Our Attention”: Diamondbacks announcer Daron Sutton is still suspended.
You’ll recall that he was suspended back in June for, as far as we know anyway, bucking the team’s broadcast booth dress code. He wanted to wear suits. They wanted him in a FSN Arizona polo. Obviously there has to be more to it than just that given the length of this suspension, however.
Via Awful Announcing, here’s the statement from team president Derrick Hall:
“Daron of course, I hired him, I extended him, he’s a very important part of our history and who we are. It’s been a culmination of events and unfortunately, I wish I could talk more about it, but when it comes to personnel issues, I don’t think it would be fair for him or us if we talked anymore than to say there’s no timetable on a return. It’s an indefinite suspension. But we’re fortunate to have guys like Greg Schulte and Jeff Munn that can step in and fill roles in the meantime,” said Hall.
All I can think is that Sutton was on double secret probation when the suit/polo flap happened and he’s paying for many, many past missteps, real or perceived by management.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 81
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 125
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (87)