Aug 13, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
File this under “Things We Forgot About Since the All-Star Break and the Olympics and Other Things That Have Since Diverted Our Attention”: Diamondbacks announcer Daron Sutton is still suspended.
You’ll recall that he was suspended back in June for, as far as we know anyway, bucking the team’s broadcast booth dress code. He wanted to wear suits. They wanted him in a FSN Arizona polo. Obviously there has to be more to it than just that given the length of this suspension, however.
Via Awful Announcing, here’s the statement from team president Derrick Hall:
“Daron of course, I hired him, I extended him, he’s a very important part of our history and who we are. It’s been a culmination of events and unfortunately, I wish I could talk more about it, but when it comes to personnel issues, I don’t think it would be fair for him or us if we talked anymore than to say there’s no timetable on a return. It’s an indefinite suspension. But we’re fortunate to have guys like Greg Schulte and Jeff Munn that can step in and fill roles in the meantime,” said Hall.
All I can think is that Sutton was on double secret probation when the suit/polo flap happened and he’s paying for many, many past missteps, real or perceived by management.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 20
- Mets acquire center fielder Carlos Gomez from Brewers 39
- Rangers “close to getting” Phillies ace Cole Hamels 55
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 64
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)