Aug 13, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
File this under “Things We Forgot About Since the All-Star Break and the Olympics and Other Things That Have Since Diverted Our Attention”: Diamondbacks announcer Daron Sutton is still suspended.
You’ll recall that he was suspended back in June for, as far as we know anyway, bucking the team’s broadcast booth dress code. He wanted to wear suits. They wanted him in a FSN Arizona polo. Obviously there has to be more to it than just that given the length of this suspension, however.
Via Awful Announcing, here’s the statement from team president Derrick Hall:
“Daron of course, I hired him, I extended him, he’s a very important part of our history and who we are. It’s been a culmination of events and unfortunately, I wish I could talk more about it, but when it comes to personnel issues, I don’t think it would be fair for him or us if we talked anymore than to say there’s no timetable on a return. It’s an indefinite suspension. But we’re fortunate to have guys like Greg Schulte and Jeff Munn that can step in and fill roles in the meantime,” said Hall.
All I can think is that Sutton was on double secret probation when the suit/polo flap happened and he’s paying for many, many past missteps, real or perceived by management.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 64
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)