Even the Yankees appreciated Johnny Pesky

Aug 13, 2012, 7:07 PM EDT

Johnny Pesky, Nomar Garciaparra AP

The Yankees will hold a moment of silence to honor Red Sox Hall of Famer Johnny Pesky prior to tonight’s game against the Rangers, and Derek Jeter had a great line in remembering  the former shortstop and coach Monday.

The Globe’s Peter Abraham has the quote:

“He was always so nice to me throughout the years,” Jeter said. “Every time I’d see him, he would come over and say, ‘I hope you get four hits today – and the guy behind you hits into four double plays.’ I’ve always enjoyed having the opportunity to talk to him.

“I always like the fact that we have a lot of ex-players that come around all the time. I always liked going up [to Boston] and having an opportunity to see him. They loved him there; fans, players, media, everyone loved him. I send my best wishes to his family.”

1. mybrunoblog - Aug 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Would you expect Jeter to say anything less classy? He is the Captain of the Yankees for reasons that go beyond what he does on the field.
    I think Jeter(and hopefully many Yankee fans) understand that while we dislike the Red Sox they have a great history. When a piece of that history goes away its polite to respectfully pause and remember it for a moment.

• bigleagues - Aug 14, 2012 at 3:58 AM

In many ways, Pesky was our Jeter.

2. hammyofdoom - Aug 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Exactly Bruno, I was just talking about how even though the Red Sox and Yankees are rivals, they still do things like hold moments of silence for dead members of the other team, or give money to the rival teams charity’s. Very classy by the Yankees, and it’s appreciated by this Sox fan

• bigleagues - Aug 14, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Baseball aside, we are all only human after all.

And that reminds me of a song . . .

3. quizguy66 - Aug 13, 2012 at 7:44 PM

When they name a piece of the field after you, you know you’re a true legend.
    RIP Johnny Pesky!

-QG

4. hokiegajanisgod - Aug 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM

The Yankees can take their sympathy and shove it where the sun don’t shine…

That being said, Derek Jeter, long the bane of many a red sox team, is an A+, all-class guy, no one could ever deny that.

• badintent - Aug 14, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Still wearing your little Gestapo outfit and whipping your girlfriend Loser ?? Guess you love the RED armbands the most eh ?

• hokiegajanisgod - Aug 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM

What? Gestapo outfit? What???

Please keep your fetishes to yourself badintent…no need to project them onto us…you loser.

5. 13yrsmlbvet - Aug 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Derek is the coolest, classiest man to ever put on a big league uni. Never met another player or coach who doesn’t respect the dude. Johnny Pesky would agree and I am sure the feeling was mutual.

6. randygnyc - Aug 13, 2012 at 8:44 PM

RIP, Mr Johnny Pesky. At least he got to see 2004.

Anyway, last year, my daughter and I were in Minnesota, as we are every summer. The Yankees were in town and my daughter begged me to go to the Yankee hotel (the Grand). I told her it was a waste of time. She insisted on taking her Derek jeter, number 2 jersey to have him sign. I told her he probably wouldn’t sign anything, especially a jersey. She stood with all the professional autograph seekers as I stood off to the side. He finally came out, walked pass by the the barricaded fans, and then came back to sign for the 3 waiting kids, mine included. She had wrapped the jersey around her iPad to make it easy for him to sign. I got a really good picture, too, but I don’t know how to post pictures. Pretty cool thing for him to do, IMO.

7. Glenn - Aug 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM

The Yankees have always been gracious to the Sox with such matters. It is reciprocal. Joe Torre’s first game back after prostate cancer surgery was at Fenway and Joe got a standing ovation when he came out of the dugout. Fans who root against a team recognize greatness as much as the fans who root for a team.

8. pxeeks - Aug 13, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Sounds like a great man.

9. rcp27 - Aug 13, 2012 at 9:33 PM

RIP Johnny Pesky, Bruno summed up my thoughts perfectly

10. Innocent Bystander - Aug 13, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Of course Pesky thought “the guy behind you” was A-Rod.

11. patsandsox - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Thanks Derek!

12. bigharold - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Condolences to the Nation.

Until I read the story in the Globe was unaware that his name was in fact Paveskovich. I guess the Paveskovich pole would sound as cool.

RIP Mr. Pesky.

13. muir6 - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM

AmaziNg how the players are the ones with perspective when it comes to this one sided rivalry

14. jolink653 - Aug 13, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Always sad when a baseball legend like Pesky passes and even though the Red Sox are our arch-enemies, both sides still respect the greatness of the opposing players…I still remember seeing Ted Williams come out on the field in the All-Star game at Fenway and being blown away by him and how all the current greats gathered around him like little kids just wanting a handshake…always wished I could have seen him play…RIP Johnny Pesky…He will always live on through that pole

15. lostsok - Aug 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Could there be a greater tribute to a man that a moment of silence by your fiercest rivals? I’ve hated the Yankees for 30 years, but I tip my hat to them for such a class move.

RIP Mr. Pesky.

16. bigleagues - Aug 14, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Honestly, I would expect nothing less from the Yankees organization under the Steinbrenner family. I don’t care if you admit it or not . . . the root of all animosity towards the Yankees comes from envy. Part of that envy stems from how consistently well they handle situations such as this.

I haven’t been able to hate-on The Captain since the very early days of his playing career. The reason is, frankly, deep down we all wish we could have Derek Jeter on our team – maybe not at SS for the second half of his career, but that’s for another day.

The Yankees will have a very different clubhouse and public persona when the sun finally sets on the career of the true Mr. October.

17. brewcrewfan54 - Aug 14, 2012 at 4:39 AM

This is a terrible headline.

18. razorbyrd - Aug 14, 2012 at 6:53 AM

I’ve always had respect for Jeter, he’s a class act…

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5022)