Aug 13, 2012, 4:21 PM EDT
Based on his modest numbers in the minors it seemed like a questionable decision for the Orioles to promote Manny Machado from Double-A to the majors just a month after his 20th birthday, but there’s nothing questionable about his first taste of the big leagues.
Machado went 2-for-4 with a triple in his MLB debut, homered twice in his second game, went 1-for-4 with a double in his third game, and homered again in his fourth game yesterday. Finally tally through four career games: 6-for-16 (.375) with three homers, five total extra-base hits, seven RBIs, five runs, and a 1.500 OPS.
Not bad for a guy who hit .266 with 11 homers and a .789 OPS in 109 games at Double-A.
Via the Baseball-Reference.com search tools: Machado is just the 12th player in MLB history with three or more homers in his first four career games, but amazingly four of those 12 have come this season with Will Middlebrooks, Yoenis Cespedes, and Yasmani Grandal joining Machado.
The all-time record for homers in a player’s first four games is four and it’s held by … Mike Jacobs. Of course.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)