Aug 13, 2012, 7:31 PM EDT
Paul Konerko landed on the seven-day disabled list with a concussion on Friday after taking an elbow to the head during a play at first base last Tuesday, but the White Sox are encouraged by his progress.
According to Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com, White Sox manager Robin Ventura said Konerko underwent a battery of concussion tests at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago today and was cleared to begin limited physical activity tomorrow.
“Everything is looking good,” Ventura said. “(Tuesday) he’ll probably start riding bike and doing physical stuff. I don’t know if he will do a whole lot of baseball stuff, but he will start getting some activity in to see how that goes. But things are progressing.”
Konerko will likely be limited to riding a bike and perhaps playing catch before progressing to to other baseball activities. It remains to be seen how he’ll respond to the increased activity, but Ventura didn’t completely rule out the possibility that he could return when he’s first eligible Friday.
Konerko, 36, is batting .318/.388/.504 with 18 home runs, 54 RBI and an .892 OPS in 101 games played this season. The White Sox are 2-2 during his absence.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 5
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 35
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 89
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)