Aug 13, 2012, 7:31 PM EST
Paul Konerko landed on the seven-day disabled list with a concussion on Friday after taking an elbow to the head during a play at first base last Tuesday, but the White Sox are encouraged by his progress.
According to Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com, White Sox manager Robin Ventura said Konerko underwent a battery of concussion tests at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago today and was cleared to begin limited physical activity tomorrow.
“Everything is looking good,” Ventura said. “(Tuesday) he’ll probably start riding bike and doing physical stuff. I don’t know if he will do a whole lot of baseball stuff, but he will start getting some activity in to see how that goes. But things are progressing.”
Konerko will likely be limited to riding a bike and perhaps playing catch before progressing to to other baseball activities. It remains to be seen how he’ll respond to the increased activity, but Ventura didn’t completely rule out the possibility that he could return when he’s first eligible Friday.
Konerko, 36, is batting .318/.388/.504 with 18 home runs, 54 RBI and an .892 OPS in 101 games played this season. The White Sox are 2-2 during his absence.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)