Aug 13, 2012, 6:20 PM EST
The Rangers are going with a three-man bench after dropping Alberto Gonzalez from the roster last week. That’s expected to change next week, and when it does, top prospect Jurickson Profar could get the call, MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan reports.
Profar, widely regarded as the top position prospect in the minors, has hit .283/.362/.463 with 13 homers and 15 steals for Double-A Frisco this season. The native of Curacao will replace Bryce Harper as MLB’s youngest player once he debuts. Born on Feb. 20, 1993, he’s four months younger than Harper.
While Profar projects as an above average defensive shortstop, the Rangers have prepared him at second base in case he’s initially needed elsewhere. He’s played 21 games there this season and one at third base.
The Rangers still might want to wait until September to promote Profar, figuring that there is very little playing time available for him in the infield at the moment. Until Frisco’s season concludes, it will make more sense to get him 25 at-bats per week in the minors than it would five in the majors.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)